Perdix AI AA Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For longer dives in cold water I prefer Saft LS14500 lithium batteries for their capacity and runtime. I have seen an 1.5v Energizer Ultimate Lithium die during a dive after starting with a full indicator. With correctly set battery type... The extra juice in saft probably allows you to finish your dive after indicator starts falling.
Shearwater has good articles about battery choice on their website.

They are an industrial Lithium - very expensive, but very good. I know the "old" SW model(s) could run them (actually were preferred). My Cochran also uses them.

Saft? Never heard of them.........

A Shearwater supported type of lithium battery. Long lasting but also pretty expensive comparatively.

I've used a lot of eneloops over the years and I have never seen them leak.
That being said, I use the Energizer lithium batteries, because it would likely last longer which would mean less opening to replace/charge batteries. Not to mention feeling less concerned of leaking since this situation has put a stop to my diving.

Thanks everyone for your input, it was extremely helpful. I am adding batteries to my save a dive kit and wanted options.

I just ordered some SAFT Lithium 14500 AA's and Panasonic Lithium CR2's.

Didn't know Shearwater had any information on batteries, link below for those interested.

Factors Affecting Battery Life on Shearwater Dive Computers - Shearwater Research

Quote: "Cold water divers should choose a lithium battery such as the Energizer Ultimate Lithium or Saft LS14500, as these have the best cold weather performance. Lithium batteries retain 95% of their capacity at 0°C and 75% at -20°C."

Be careful with SAFT's, there are lots of counterfeits out there and as horrifically expensive as they are compared to how cheap the 14500's and eneloops are, I prefer to use rechargeable despite the lower run times. Eneloops perform quite well in the cold and IMO are the ideal battery to use in these things.
The Eneloop Pro
$28 for 4x of them with charger, so $7/cell with a free charger
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5YCY1T/ref=twister_B00QGBZM14?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
$5.50/cell for Safts
https://www.amazon.com/baterías-litio-2400-mAh-recargables/dp/B082VLYMQ3/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=saft+ls14500&qid=1595429643&sr=8-3

That article from Shearwater is very old and we have improved. Safts will still give the most run time, but how many of you are actually putting 130 hours per year on these things? As expensive sa those things are, I am OK with using rechargeables and I put a fresh one in before every trip along with checking the o-rings

I tried using the 14500 rechargables for a while but they discharge too quickly for my taste. I now use the Energizer Lithiums and they are much better.

I used the SAFT in my Predator comp years ago but they had an annoyingly fickle voltage drop that made the Shearwater battery gauge give false warnings. Perhaps that was down to the Predator design, but I am wary of them now.

The Energizer Lithiums are similar performance, cheaper, and easier to source. I bought a pack of 8 a couple years ago for my 3 Petrel & Perdix computers and still have 5 left over at this point.

I buy the ultimate lithium 4 packs, one in the computer, and 3 in a battery case with the PDC box. Swap as necessary, and low cost in the grand scheme of things. Not really changing much as they last a good bit of time.

Back
Top Bottom