Cape Cod... too dangerous or okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody commented on whether those dead seals had chunks bitten out of them? Curious as to whether we should assume 'dead seal' = 'great white kill,' or maybe other causes are in the mix.

Sorry don't know.

Right I heard there were GWs off the cape. Nobody in RI waters has ever been bitten by any kind of shark at least that know of. That was what you quoted of mine was concerning RI waters not MA right?

I was referring to Buzzards Bay.

Thanks, there aren't any dangerous bears in RI, and I don't intend to camp where there are any, just as I wouldn't dive where I knew there was a GW(s) in the area.

uhmmmmmmm

Not sure but if a shark killed a seal it might be reasonable to assume that seal would be consumed, or bitten in half with possible tooth marks, just a guess...
But maybe we can also assume there should be no doubt that dozens if not hundreds of seal per year are killed by shark in Cape Cod and RI waters.

Not sure but if a shark killed a seal it might be reasonable to assume that seal would be consumed, or bitten in half with possible tooth marks, just a guess...
But maybe we can also assume there should be no doubt that dozens if not hundreds of seal per year are killed by shark in Cape Cod and RI waters.

I've yet to see a seal in RI waters in the summer near shore. Halfway rock near the MA RI line may have seals but I don't get out there these days. I've not heard of Block Island have any seals either. So unless the GWs are chasing the seal across the line I doubt if many if any seals are taken by GWs in the summer.

@TuckerIdaho by this: just as I wouldn't dive where I knew there was a GW(s) in the area. I mean,
If I look out from shore and see a GW chasing a seal, I'm not diving there that day. If I look over the side of the boat and there is/are GWs in the water I'm not going. Knowing a GW is there in real time is quite different from knowing there are GWs in the ocean somewhere within 50 - 100 miles. Clear?

Yeah I guess I'm guilty of trying to say RI has many seals and therefore maybe a lot of sharks like Cape Cod. I don't know what got into me, maybe I was trying to scare divers away from RI to the Cape, it's a subconscious thing.
I just did a quick look with google maps and zoomed down on Gull Island, Muskeget Island, Monimoy Is. and there are hundreds of seal visible from the satellite view. Not sure how old the images are. I've seen seal on Martha's and Nomans before as well. The seal congregate on isolated spits of land. I did not see any seal on Block Island.

seals_on_gull_island_01.jpg

There's a pretty big colony of seals on Penikese (which encompasses Gull Island).
They're year round and the colony gets bigger every year.

Even so, visitors to Rhode Island’s beaches still get nervous about what’s lurking beneath. (Those concerns were heightened Monday after a surfer at a South Kingstown beach was bitten in the foot by what was believed to be a sand tiger shark, not a white shark.) Now this I didn't hear about. A sand Tiger?!?! We have sand sharks better know as dog fish. They don't have teeth just hard cartilage between their jaws. Sand tigers have those ragged curved teeth. The next Sand Tiger I see here will be the 1st. Anybody ever see a sand tiger in New England waters?

Sand sharks (dogfish) and Sand tigers are two different sharks. Its been years since I've seen one in person but I caught a baby sand tiger in Nantucket harbor probably 20 years ago. Dogfish gets sent to the UK for fish and chips, and I can say when prepped properly I'll eat it every day of the week before cod or haddock.

We also have Brown Sharks and a few others that are scary looking but pose no threat.

Sand sharks (dogfish) and Sand tigers are two different sharks. Its been years since I've seen one in person but I caught a baby sand tiger in Nantucket harbor probably 20 years ago. Dogfish gets sent to the UK for fish and chips, and I can say when prepped properly I'll eat it every day of the week before cod or haddock.

We also have Brown Sharks and a few others that are scary looking but pose no threat.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/surfer-describes-possible-shark-bite-at-ri-beach

The Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management said it believes Clary was bit by a sand tiger shark.

University of Rhode Island Biology Sciences professor Dr. Brad Wetherbee said the last recorded shark bite was in 1895.

So you have seen a sand tiger here in NE 20 years ago.

I don't see any reason they couldn't be here but I've never heard of or seen one here until now. Saw plenty down NC, hundreds in fact, swimming 'round the wrecks.
So what do you think may have bitten the surfer on Monday? The expert called it a sand tiger so it couldn't be a dog fish.

I suspect a goosefish, one a foot or more long could put a good bite on a foot and not let go without a lot of fight. Usually a shark will let go right away if it meets force.

"My foot was just covered in blood, holes all over it" Goosefish have rows of sharp teeth they could cause a wound like that and they can be found in shallow water waiting to ambush prey.

Sorry was that your foot?

dried-monkfish_gg55110316.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom