Perdix AI AA Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TLDR - "While almost any kind of AA sized battery works with your Shearwater Perdix, the standard 1.5V alkaline battery (the type found in stores around the world) works best."

Not sure I could disagree with that more. This has to be old data. Do NOT USE alkaline batteries in your Shearwaters. If you must do so remove them immediately after the trip.

You guys act like these batteries are radioactive...

From Shearwater's site:

"For most users, the standard AA alkaline batteries offer a good balance of performance and cost. The major disadvantage of alkaline batteries is that can they leak corrosive fluids, especially when fully discharged. Do not store your computer with alkaline batteries installed for more than 1 or 2 months."

Factors Affecting Battery Life on Shearwater Dive Computers - Shearwater Research

Seems reasonable to me.

The genuine ones will have Made in France on them and a date code that starts with the year.

Genuine Saft LS batteries are made in (at least) France, UK and China. Thus they don't have to be made in France to be genuine and up to spec.

I have used 3v/1500 mAh CR12600SE batteries under the SANYO and FDK label...

I started with an Alkaline. Got good life out of it. Dropped in a SAFT for a big trip, after a week I don't think it hardly dropped. But got burned on some crap/fake SAFTs and gave up on them.
Right now my go to battery is the Energizer Lithium. Really good life and value wise better than Alkaline. I'll spend the big bucks on a real SAFT for a big trip. But not for weekend trips.
With the life/cost factor of the Energizer Lithium I don't see any value to an Alkaline. The only saving grace is you can get one at the marina when you find you didn't prep the gear correctly before you left home. Or you can steal one from a flashlight or something else at the last moment. The ability to accept a common battery is a huge win.

You guys act like these batteries are radioactive...

From Shearwater's site:

"For most users, the standard AA alkaline batteries offer a good balance of performance and cost. The major disadvantage of alkaline batteries is that can they leak corrosive fluids, especially when fully discharged. Do not store your computer with alkaline batteries installed for more than 1 or 2 months."

Factors Affecting Battery Life on Shearwater Dive Computers - Shearwater Research

Seems reasonable to me.

The kind of are. Just yesterday one of my motorized window blinds stopped working. Pulled the battery pack and pretty much all of the 10 AA batteries in it were leaking. Big mess, had to clean the contacts etc. Probably 18 months old.

14500 batteries for myself. Very happy.

The kind of are. Just yesterday one of my motorized window blinds stopped working. Pulled the battery pack and pretty much all of the 10 AA batteries in it were leaking. Big mess, had to clean the contacts etc. Probably 18 months old.

10AA batteries to run a motor????

I'm no DC expert my any stretch.... but wouldn't it be more of an apples to apples comparison to consider load and compare a single AA device to another single AA device.... like the millions of other electronics that we use day in and day out without issue?

Just pulled a few junk remotes out of a drawer... over ten years with AA in them.... all just fine.

Guess its time to replace all those batteries with SAFT batteries now. :D

Disagree with the TLDR.

Not sure I could disagree with that more. This has to be old data. Do NOT USE alkaline batteries in your Shearwaters. If you must do so remove them immediately after the trip.

That is not *my* TLDR - that is literally copied from the Shearwater FAQ. The FAQ and video also include more information about all the various types of batteries.

They are obsessed with alkalines and low battery cost per dive hour... With a $900 dive computer and dives/trips costing lots of money $5/year additional battery cost for superior performance is not much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom