Shearwater Peregrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been holding off on getting a new dive computer for a while as I plan to pass my current Oceanic down to my son. No AI is definitely a no go for me. I got used to it and really like it.

I was hoping for an OLED screen.

Can't source them in that form factor: it's either smartwatch-sized (teric) or cellphone-sized. Or custom-made with a very custom price tag.

I got mine last night. Wow. It's a thing of beauty. All of the corners are beveled, giving it a softer look, and the finish looks really good. It's got the familiar Shearwater schema when navigating the software. Smaller than the big boys, but I can read it easily with my glasses off. No AI. No compass. It's just a very simple and rugged PDC. I'll post some pics later today. I'm going to try to dive Troy Springs, if it's open.

One thing right off. I like the mounts better. They are beefier and can accommodate bungee or the traditional buckle strap. The bolts they include for the buckle strap are very beefy and they even include a couple of screwdrivers to assemble it all. What an awesome entry level unit. I can see why they didn't clutter it up with additional features that can distract. Let the new diver concentrate on the info they really, really need from a PDC.

Certainly looks nice and will probably sell in great numbers.

However, moving from a AA battery to a factory removable rechargeable one is a backward step IMHO.

You'll always be able to find a AA battery somewhere even on a boat in the middle of the sea.

However, moving from a AA battery to a factory removable rechargeable one is a backward step IMHO.
The form factor would not allow an aa battery in my opinion. I'm OK with charging it.

You'll always be able to find a AA battery somewhere even on a boat in the middle of the sea.

I don't disagree HOWEVER I've come to believe it is the future. As rechargeable battery technology improves I believe more and more computers will have sealed, rechargeable, factory replaceable batteries. I believe ALL future Shearwaters will have this form factor. I could certainly be wrong but I don't believe that I am. Those of us that like user-replaceable AAs are going to eventually have to suck it up and just accept the inevitable.

AI, compass, trimix. Which would you pay extra for?

Maybe they should adopt the Tesla model and include certain features that you have to pay extra to unlock. :wink:

I'd be most interested in a base Teric and would be happy to pay $100 to unlock the compass. I wouldn't pay for trimix or AI at this point, but who knows what the future will bring?
They can't include the hardware to support those extra features and be expected to sell it at the same price for those who choose to keep them locked. Once the hardware is built in the price goes up.

upload_2020-7-24_10-11-15.png

In the Box

upload_2020-7-24_10-13-0.png

What's in the Box

upload_2020-7-24_10-13-34.png

At home, on my wrist

upload_2020-7-24_10-14-19.png

What a thoughtful detail.
No more floppy bands!

upload_2020-7-24_10-15-54.png

Petrel II, Peregrine, (P)Teric

upload_2020-7-24_10-16-51-png.600076.png

Petrel II & Peregrine Height Comparison

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-24_10-16-51.png
    upload_2020-7-24_10-16-51.png
    550.4 KB · Views: 75
The Peregrine Pfalcon is very Ppretty indeed.

They can't include the hardware to support those extra features and be expected to sell it at the same price for those who choose to keep them locked. Once the hardware is built in the price goes up.
That's not always true. It would really depend on the cost of those individual components. I'd be somewhat surprised if the bareboard was different from some of the others. It costs a good bit to design and build a new pcb, so I would imagine that the circuitry is there. The next question would be are the components placed. That would largely depend on the cost of the compass, and AI parts. Depending on that cost, it might actually be cheaper to avoid a changeover and use common system board. All the "expensive" options can easily be turned off during final assembly and programming. Of course, this is all speculation on my part, based on many years in electronics manufacturing, I have no idea how the Perdix or Peregrine are assembled, so it is entirely possible that the parts aren't there in the Peregrine. I seem to recall, however, some discussion where there was a Perdix AI that was programmed as a regular Perdix, it had to be returned to get re-programmed. So, seems to me that the AI hardware can be deactivated by software.

Overall, I like the concept. It's priced fairly reasonably. There are cheaper computers out there, but when you look at the features, most comparable computers are more expensive, most don't have a full color screen. It runs Buhlmann with different pre-loaded GFs. Not sure if it also offers a Custom option like the Perdix does in Rec mode. Manual wasn't exactly clear if Custom GF was available on the Peregrine.

AI would be a good addition in the not too distant future. I don't think introducing it in the next few months will result in angry customers, as AI seems to be one of those "Must have" or "Not needed" features. In other words, if I'm looking for AI, it is unlikely that this would be on my list as it doesn't have it. That's probably why I don't own a Garmin Descent. When it came out, I was intrigued and looked at it. I wasn't, however, willing to give up AI to get it. Likewise, Shearwater wasn't on my radar until they introduced the Perdix AI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom