What do you do about friction blisters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly, why would anyone shore dive without booties? It sounds like an accident waiting to happen at worst and uncomfortable at best. Even a lycra sock would be better than bare feet if shore diving.

I wouldn't want to be walking 9ver rocks or boulders in lycra socks. Not all beach entries being equal and no offence to The Chairman but I don't want Crocs hanging off me either regardless of buoyancy factors, lol.

PBcatfish,

I don't recommend tape, anything other than correct bandage adhesive may have solvents that will likely make a bad situation worse. believe me, I know bandage adhesives.

Try the bandage adhesive rings that I have shown in the attachment, a ''Dr Scholls'' product.

You may also want to try ''five finger'' socks, available through ''Vibram''.

Best of luck, take care of you feet

Rose.

View attachment 599918

Fair enough Rose but I believe most of us, certainly I was talking about how to avoid getting the blisters or friction burns in the first place. So, the liveaboard divers that I referenced wearing the duct tape were wearing the tape in places that they knew in advance to be rub spots. My feet used to become hamburger and on longer trips, it could become almost impossible to boot and fin up for the dives (I suffered for my passion). But 20 years ago Burt Jones, a professional dive photographer, told me to get lycra socks. I did and haven't had a blister since. Game changer!!

I'm pretty familiar with the adhesives that are used in most adhesive tapes, but I am not so familiar with bandage adhesives. If you don't mind, could you please fill me in a little?

Hi PBcatfish,

Reference being given to ''human body friendly'' adhesives found on band-aids and other bandage preparations.

Industrial adhesives found on things like duct tape and other industrial use tape/adhesive products were never intended to be attached to human skin as reaction effects may be adverse.

Tape adhesive is a chemical, not all chemicals are human ''contact'' friendly.

Rose.

Fair enough Rose but I believe most of us, certainly I was talking about how to avoid getting the blisters or friction burns in the first place. So, the liveaboard divers that I referenced wearing the duct tape were wearing the tape in places that they knew in advance to be rub spots. My feet used to become hamburger and on longer trips, it could become almost impossible to boot and fin up for the dives (I suffered for my passion). But 20 years ago Burt Jones, a professional dive photographer, told me to get lycra socks. I did and haven't had a blister since. Game changer!!

Hi chillyinCanada,

Not sure a response is required on my part. I also suggested socks.
I further recommended that industrial use tapes, with potentially harmful chemicals in the adhesive was not a good idea.

On a slightly different topic, I don't see how being on a liveaboard equates with damaged feet.

Bare feet in a full foot fin on a continuous basis is probably not a good idea. Especially when combined with sand and or coral fragments, because now as well as contact friction blistering, you're adding abrasives into the mix.

Socks/boots comfortable half foot fins with straps seem like a much better plan.

Seems to me, ease of packing is the trade-off for a week full of foot problems, bad idea.

Rose

Honestly, why would anyone shore dive without booties? It sounds like an accident waiting to happen at worst and uncomfortable at best. Even a lycra sock would be better than bare feet if shore diving.
Here in warm sunny Florida, our sandy beaches allow a comfortable barefoot walk into the water. Also, when boat diving into 80-something degree water, bare feet are a comfortable option that gets better traction on-deck compared to Lycra sox.

This morning I did my first test. Since the same two toes on each foot have historically had the friction blister issue, that gave me 4 test subjects to experiment with. I used a different type of tape on each toe. The tapes I used were:

1) Unknown brand of medical grade adhesive tape that was in my medicine cabinet next to some gauze pads.
2) Tesa brand Duct tape
3) Pro-Gaff brand "gaffers tape" from Pro-Tapes
4) Unknown brand of clear box sealing tape

Both the medical grade tape & box sealing tape came off before the dive was over. The other two lasted & were still aggressively adhesive after the dive, but came off my toes with no problems. The adhesive on the box sealing tape turned cloudy & gooey before it released. The medical tape just didn't stick anymore, but did not get gooey. So far, I have not observed any skin irritation from the various tapes. The dive was a little over an hour in salt water.

Options I intend to try in the future include:
Waterproof version of medical grade tape (if I can find it)
Waterproof band-aids
Blue painter's tape
Trainer's tape
Hockey stick tape

Hi PBcatfish,

Reference being given to ''human body friendly'' adhesives found on band-aids and other bandage preparations.

Industrial adhesives found on things like duct tape and other industrial use tape/adhesive products were never intended to be attached to human skin as reaction effects may be adverse.

Tape adhesive is a chemical, not all chemicals are human ''contact'' friendly.

Rose.
Athletic tape (trainer's tape) was designed to be used on skin. I know it will stay on in water if it wraps around to itself, because I've used it when playing water polo.

The premium option is kinesiology tape. You often see it on swimmers and water polo players. One of the KT companies even sponsored the US women's water polo team.

I've been using gel protectors for the last few years. They work great for full foot fins with or without socks.

Used to put all kinds of tape but it only last for one dive and if you're not carefully placing the tape it slips ... or maybe is just me that rush the process, this gel cylinders seem to be a sure thing

Attachments

• gel_toe.jpg
    gel_toe.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 37
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom