Closed Freedom Contour Backplates

Sold or no longer available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi folks,
I have a few Medium size stainless steel Freedom Plates for sale for anyone interested.
These are all satin finish standard s/s (3.5 lb - 1/8”) medium size and come with wedge brackets. They fit people from about 5’6” to about 6’ or 6’1”. They are designed to be used primarily with VDH wings, Oxycheq Mach V wing, I believe the new DGX wing will work as well because it’s very close in design to the two previously mentioned wings. Others that will work are Hog, Hollis, OMS, Deep 6, and many others. The wings that will not work are Halcyon wings that do not have slots, DSS (without modifications), and any other wings without slots.
These plates do not come with rail brackets.

The plates w/wedge are $235.00 each plus shipping.

Here are the plates:

Please respond here with the plate number you want so others can see if they’re available or not, then PM me for the completion of the sale.
I take Paypal.

Thank you so much
Eric

Eric,

I've heard great things about your backplates, but I'm afraid I don't know much about them and the specifics - i.e. rail brackets vs wedge brackets, etc.

Can you either post information and photos, or a link to a previous post for those of us that are relatively new on scubaboard?

The thread I found on scubaboard started in 2013 and is 69 pages long.

Thanks!

John

Eric,

I've heard great things about your backplates, but I'm afraid I don't know much about them and the specifics - i.e. rail brackets vs wedge brackets, etc.

Can you either post information and photos, or a link to a previous post for those of us that are relatively new on scubaboard?

The thread I found on scubaboard started in 2013 and is 69 pages long.

Thanks!

John
There’s this:
Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

The Freedom Plate is a design based on an old school backpack but modernized to accept modern donut wings with two can bands, 2”webbing (Hogarthian style), etc.
It is a single tank only plate.
The comfort level of this plate surpasses the other plates because it’s curved and contoured to fit the shape of you back. There is a curve top to bottom to fit the curve of your back and the sides are also curved to fit the curve of your waist. The edges are reverse rolled along the bottom and sides (contouring) to fit even better and so there are not any edges that dig into your body. The top of the plate is narrowed down so that it will fit better down in between your shoulder blades for better streamlining and to get the tank closer to your back. Plus the edge roll and narrowness alleviates the edges from digging into your shoulder blades.

The wedge is a 2” piece of 1/8” stainless ripped lengthwise at an angle to hold the bottom of the tank away from your body for better tank to body alignment. Moving the top of the tank in and kicking the bottom of the tank out lines up the tank with the straight axis of your body better so that when your cruising along flat going forward the tank is more horizontal, rather than the tank angled up in front. The slope of your back points uphill when you think you are flat so if you’re using a flat plate then the tank goes uphill too. I designed my plate to try and correct this.
There used to be a rail which was a full length bolt on piece that was somewhat like a STA. However the wedge replaced the rail for most wings because it’s simple and the rail caused more problems and confusion than necessary. The rail also moves the tank out further and IMO was defeating part of the streamline design of the plate plus making it complicated to try and fit many wings that worked better without it. For instance, you can’t use a rail with the VDH or Oxycheq wings because the roll control cushions on those wings are in the way and the rail doesn’t fit down in between them. I utilized the roll control cushions on those wings to hold the tank away from the plate on top and the wedge takes care of the bottom.
I also always insist on the cam bands going through the plate for security. It’s too easy to run the cam bands under the rail bars of the rail bracket and then the tank depends on two 5/16” bolts to hold on (like a STA) That scared me in the hands of some people.
So, no more rails, wedges only from here on out. People will have to buy the appropriate wing if they want to use a wing with the Freedom Plate.
The plate can also be used without a wing for old school no BC diving, but the wedge needs to be bolted on to stabilize the tank. The top of the tank will just rest on the plate and the bottom will ride on the wedge edges. When using a wing the wedge bolts down over the wing.
There are also two small 1/4” stainless carriage bolts that come with the plate. These are for securing the wing to the plate for convenience during setup. When you use the wedge you will only use one on top, but you can also use the plate with just the VDH wing without the wedge if you want. You use the two small stainless bolts to hold the wing on and strap the tank straight onto the wing and let the built in roll cushions hold the tank out away from the plate. People who travel do this to save weight. The bottom of the tank sits in closer but for warm water travel using AL 80’s people don’t seem to mind.

Did I cover everything? I think so?
If not maybe someone can add what I missed, but that pretty much explains it.

If it will fit you buy one! I have two, one Stainless for cold water and an aluminum for warm water, if I ever get to dive warm water again.

There’s this:
Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

The Freedom Plate is a design based on an old school backpack but modernized to accept modern donut wings with two can bands, 2”webbing (Hogarthian style), etc.
It is a single tank only plate.
The comfort level of this plate surpasses the other plates because it’s curved and contoured to fit the shape of you back. There is a curve top to bottom to fit the curve of your back and the sides are also curved to fit the curve of your waist. The edges are reverse rolled along the bottom and sides (contouring) to fit even better and so there are not any edges that dig into your body. The top of the plate is narrowed down so that it will fit better down in between your shoulder blades for better streamlining and to get the tank closer to your back. Plus the edge roll and narrowness alleviates the edges from digging into your shoulder blades.

The wedge is a 2” piece of 1/8” stainless ripped lengthwise at an angle to hold the bottom of the tank away from your body for better tank to body alignment. Moving the top of the tank in and kicking the bottom of the tank out lines up the tank with the straight axis of your body better so that when your cruising along flat going forward the tank is more horizontal, rather than the tank angled up in front. The slope of your back points uphill when you think you are flat so if you’re using a flat plate then the tank goes uphill too. I designed my plate to try and correct this.
There used to be a rail which was a full length bolt on piece that was somewhat like a STA. However the wedge replaced the rail for most wings because it’s simple and the rail caused more problems and confusion than necessary. The rail also moves the tank out further and IMO was defeating part of the streamline design of the plate plus making it complicated to try and fit many wings that worked better without it. For instance, you can’t use a rail with the VDH or Oxycheq wings because the roll control cushions on those wings are in the way and the rail doesn’t fit down in between them. I utilized the roll control cushions on those wings to hold the tank away from the plate on top and the wedge takes care of the bottom.
I also always insist on the cam bands going through the plate for security. It’s too easy to run the cam bands under the rail bars of the rail bracket and then the tank depends on two 5/16” bolts to hold on (like a STA) That scared me in the hands of some people.
So, no more rails, wedges only from here on out. People will have to buy the appropriate wing if they want to use a wing with the Freedom Plate.
The plate can also be used without a wing for old school no BC diving, but the wedge needs to be bolted on to stabilize the tank. The top of the tank will just rest on the plate and the bottom will ride on the wedge edges. When using a wing the wedge bolts down over the wing.
There are also two small 1/4” stainless carriage bolts that come with the plate. These are for securing the wing to the plate for convenience during setup. When you use the wedge you will only use one on top, but you can also use the plate with just the VDH wing without the wedge if you want. You use the two small stainless bolts to hold the wing on and strap the tank straight onto the wing and let the built in roll cushions hold the tank out away from the plate. People who travel do this to save weight. The bottom of the tank sits in closer but for warm water travel using AL 80’s people don’t seem to mind.

Did I cover everything? I think so?
If not maybe someone can add what I missed, but that pretty much explains it.

Eric, perfect!

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation and the link to everyone's setup. I'd love to have one; let me see if I can figure out how to afford one (we just moved to the PNW and are closing on a house next week).

If I can't get one of your plates now, I'll definitely in the future. Thanks again for the explanation and hopefully it'll help out others as well!

Edit: Quick question - are these the thickest and heaviest models you make? I'm kind of a big guy (not necessarily tall - 6') and diving a drysuit, I need some weight.

John

hello, would you ship internationally? Also, I know I'm being a pain, but would you mindposting a picture of the wedges attached? I'm a visual learner and while I understand the purpose and function as you described, I can't picture how they sit on the plate. Thanks for your time!

S

hello, would you ship internationally? Also, I know I'm being a pain, but would you mindposting a picture of the wedges attached? I'm a visual learner and while I understand the purpose and function as you described, I can't picture how they sit on the plate. Thanks for your time!

S

This should show it for you ...
I am super excited to post this for multiple reasons:

1) Like many of you, I have been interested in a Freedom Plate for a while. I switched to a BP/W setup about 2 years ago and have loved it, but felt that it could get better/more comfortable (at least out of the water, I'm pretty happy for the most part underwater).

2) I am one of those weirdo's whose minor OCD requires things like TV volume and A/C settings to be either even numbers or right in the middle at 5. With that in mind, the fact that I got Eric's 500th Freedom Plate is extremely satisfying! Right in the middle AND an even number? Fireworks went off in my brain when he let me know.

3) I'm also very excited to be the first to receive a S/S wedge! The additional weight brings it pretty close to the the weight of my other plate, and the fact that it adds it more toward the bottom of the plate is wonderful, as I have somewhat floaty feet. Granted, the plate doesn't extend down my back as far as my other one, but I don't think that will be that big of a deal. I won't be able to tell how it feels with a tank on until I get in the water, but I can certainly see the benefits of having the tank slightly kicked out.

4) When I found out I was included in this production run, I really didn't think the plate would arrive as quickly as it did. My wife and I have our annual Bonaire trip booked for March, and I had gladly accepted that I would be diving with my current plate while there. The fact that I can now travel with slightly less weight (can detach the wedge and put it in my backpack, while putting my plate in the carry-on like always) will be great, and of course, being able to dive it in Bonaire, my happy place, is thrilling.

Without further adieu, pictures attached. I was too excited to get it set up, so the harness and VDH 18# wing were put on before taking pictures. I promise it looks like pretty much every other Freedom Plate that you have recently seen pictures of. :)

I forgot the most important part. Thank you @Eric Sedletzky for the excellent craftsmanship. I really appreciate the work you put into these, as I know many others do!

I see! Thanks a ton. I'm definitely interested if they're available.

Back
Top Bottom