Old Valve with left hand thread handle, why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBunga

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was cleaning a bunch of valves yesterday and came across a us divers k-valve that has a left hand thread bonnet on the valve handle? I was almost ready to use a breaker bar in my vice when I noticed the notches in the nut and tried it the other way! This is on the handle and not a crossbar setup. The valve looks normal/standard from the outside - ie. the handle is on the normal side. Was this used for old doubles to remove the handle and put in a crossbar???

According to my 2005 Aqua Lung valve service manual the left hand threaded bonnet nuts began in 1986 along with a change from using just a teflon stem seal to the use of the teflon stem seal and an O ring and back up ring and also involved a design change to the stem and bonnet nut to accommodate the O ring and backup ring.
Always check the bonnet nut for the notches indicating it is left hand thread, this applies to K, J and twin manifolds. The J bonnet remained right hand thread.

Back
Top Bottom