LDS Disparaging Other Shops and Brands of Scuba Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quite savvy as allegedly they can sell gear for a profit for less than what other stores can buy due to their volume (allegedly, as this is from a couple knowledgeable people that used to work there, not personal knowledge of their purchase price). Seeing one of the owners at DEMA is a bit comical as it is like a puppy swarm of equipment manufacturers trying to make deals. And he knows how to make deals. Its a business, and he is successful.
Yes absolutely. I use them for suit service, they do a good job for a reasonable price even though I feel guilty as I suspect the behind the scenes staff are not paid living wages.

I don't buy gear or get fills there or anything else so I am distant from any (recent) badmouthing

The big chain here...
There's a chain of dive shops somewhere? I've never heard of a business with more than a couple of locations. What is this place? Please message me if it's sensitive to say on the forum.

There's a chain of dive shops somewhere? I've never heard of a business with more than a couple of locations. What is this place? Please message me if it's sensitive to say on the forum.
Underwater sports is our local "chain" with 5 stores in Seattle, Bellevue, Federal Way, Tacoma and Edmonds
Underwater Sports
They have a ton of buying power here. The owners are savy business people and aren't big bad mouthers (at least that I've noticed). Staff and the shop instructors are a mixed bag IMO

Most small dive shops are mom and pop run and it's a tough competitive world. And some in that world think the best way to get themselves business is to talk bad about others.

The shop I got my OW (and my daughters) I liked the employees. They seemed honest and pretty laid back. My last 2 or 3 trips there, I ended up being waited on by the owner. He was obviously anti-other shop but also liked to talk down about my gear. I have a transpac from dive-rite, not quite a bp/w but pretty close. It's minimalist, it's comfy. I like it a lot. And I got it as an absolute steal. It looked brand new, had an air2 on it, accessory weight pouches etc. I took it in to get serviced when I first got it.

But "You're never going to get peak performance out of that, it's old tech". IIRC, a BC is basically a balloon strapped to my back. I don't think tech has advanced much beyond that stage. I know what I DON'T WANT is a jacket style BC, dislike those quite a bit. I don't care how 'new tech' they are and being a little more comfy on the surface isn't a big deal compared to being comfy down below IMO.

As I was building my daughters gear we were given an older SP reg set. Looked used, but good. I took it in for servicing. "You're never going to..." she's 12. We're diving OW at 60ish feet on air. In florida. She's not doing tech diving on trimix under an ice sheet. While an F1 car may be really awesome in the right hands, those hands don't belong to my 12 year old.

The final straw was tank fills though. I was diving on 72's with J valves( bought from them). They're neat, I like them. The owner did the last 2 fills, doesn't know what a J valve is. He gives me "I don't know if I can fill them, Besides, you're never..." even though they sold them to me with fresh hydro and vip... 5 months ago. But he fills them. I get home, check (fortunately) my air before a trip, they're at around 800lbs. He did the same when I took them back. His tank monkeys had no issues, but he insisted on doing them himself. So even though I liked their guys, I changed shops. The owner killed my business.

So new shop I take in the same gear and they say.... "What do you want done?" I show up to fill and they say.... "just air?" So they get my fills now, I've bought 4 new tanks from them (2 used and 2 brand spanking new) and I'll be buying 2 more once the last of my 72's sell.

Back
Top Bottom