First gear purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rukkian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am still reading through many of the posts, and one thing keeps coming up- people say you should try something to figure out what you want. I am looking to purchase my first set of gear, to stop renting.

I have heard good things about a BP/wing, but nobody around me has them in stock, and definitely doesn't rent them. How can I know if it is for me, if I cannot try them? I have tried a few different jackets through my rentals, never really noticed a huge difference.

My local shop suggests the aqua long basic package with the pro he, Titan reg, and i300. I had another shop suggests the oceanic open water package.

I know some will say the packages aren't always the best, but when I price out the items, they are quite a bit cheaper than piecemeal, but that is obviously buying those same items.

I like to do research, but it can be daunting when there is no real way to try different things to know what works for you.

Anybody have a suggestion for a first setup to get started that should work for most people? Is a BP/wing usually the way to go, or do you really need to try it out first?

Looking to keep it around$1k for bcd, reg, gages, and maybe a computer. Already have a mares puck plus pro I picked up used, but a backup would always work.

Info- live in Iowa, so do some colder water, not planning any ice dives or dry suit at this one, but did get to 47° and was fine in a 765 wetsuit. Have 25 dives, and have aow, eanx certs. Might be working towards rescue in a year or two. Probably only diving 10 or less times a year. Some local, some flying or in a cruise.

Thanks for any advice.

the basic packages are basically a bad idea because you either a) will end up really getting into diving then replace the gear by upgrading or b) only dive occasionally in which case you might as well rent gear as needed

see if you can find a local dive club nearby where someone may have a bpw to lend you

I'll give you my perspective as a diver that started diving in 1965 without the advantages of the modern conveniences and safety items found in current dive gear. When I came back to diving in 2010, I was trained in a jacket bcd, and my wife, who was also taking the OW course with me, liked the jacket bcd because she liked the comfort and position in the water while at the surface. When we completed training, we decided to buy our own gear, upper level Scubapro regs, Aeris Atmos AI computers, backup analog gauge sets, and matching Sherwood Avid bcds, so we both had identical gear setups. After about 6 years with that configuration, we sold the Avid bcds primarily because most of our diving was during travel and wanted to reduce the dive gear weight we carried on every trip that diving was planned. My wife went to a lighter weight Scubapro Go jacket bcd (she still liked being higher out of the water at the surface) and I went with a Zeagle Covert back inflate which I liked a lot. After diving the Zeagle for four years, I decided to switch to a 32# HOG Total Buoyancy Control System, soft pack and wing, and while I have only dived it twice because of the Covid problem, I am now a convert to the bp/w system, and recognize why so many SB members use that system. I greatly appreciate the flexibility afforded by the bp/w because my requirements are likely significantly different from other divers who may prefer a minimalist harness system, little or no padding, and a heavier metal plate, and I can configure mine exactly as I want/need it, and not how a manufacturer or some other diver thinks my gear configuration should be. Good luck with your shopping adventure.

Edit: One of the biggest problems new divers face is that they do not really know how much diving they will be doing, and where they really want their diving hobby to go (rec, tech, DM, Inst, etc.), so it is hard to decide what to buy and when/where to buy it. While I am happy to support my LDS when possible, sometimes the prices offered by online shops and companies like Leisure Pro offer sale prices the LDS can't/won't match, and the cost difference is too extreme.

Thanks for that info. I have heard that a BP/wing is now difficult to put on, and harder to change between different we suits, do you see that? Do you recommend the hog?

Thanks for that info. I have heard that a BP/wing is now difficult to put on, and harder to change between different we suits, do you see that? Do you recommend the hog?

I really like my HOG system, but could easily have gone with a different system. As it turned out, I had narrowed my choice to a HOG or OMS system from Dive Right In Scuba (DRIS), and they had a great sale on the HOG system when I was ready to buy. I did not want a Hogarthian style harness because of shoulder issues, so I chose the comfort harness which quickly adjusts to my dive skin, 3mm, and 5mm wetsuits. No problem getting in or out of the harness.

Consider holding off on the BC? It's the least important, heaviest part of your kit. Since you are only diving 10 times a year you could rent. I'd personally look to get a really nice regset since you already have a computer and exposure protection.

Your local shop is an aqualung shop? They probably sell/service Apeks too then. Check out the Apeks XTX50 regset with XTX40 octo. With a brass/glass gauge it should be no more than $850. It looks pretty similar to the Aqualung Leg3nds but not as inflated in price.

If you really want a BC, divegearexpress has a BP/W combo for $350.

xtx50/dst with xtx40 is a good reg, but the cost at retail in north america is too high to recommend. you can spend much less with deep 6 or hog.

xtx50/dst with xtx40 is a good reg, but the cost at retail in north america is too high to recommend. you can spend much less with deep 6 or hog.

ehh... just because you can get it cheaper in the UK doesnt make it overpriced. Again, it looks to be a better buy that its Aqualung cousin.

You can indeed save about $200 on a deep6 regset from the Apeks. But you would be having to work direct with them on maintenance and such. No LDS support. For some that could be a plus but since OP already stated he had somewhat of a relationship and is a new diver, I tried to stay in the confines of what he described.

If your local shop is aqualung, ask them if they have a rogue/outlaw that you can look at.

I have both a jacket style and a 6 pound metal plated zeagle express bpw. As previously mentioned. The jacket holds you a little more securely than a back plate. You just don't inflate your back plate as much at the surface. The back plate takes up less space so you're profile is more coefficient. This will eventually help with your air consumption. The coefficient profile, will do this, not the wing. It is possible to be streamlined with a jacket too. Bpw are generally lighter which was probably Also covered. Great for travel. Get in the water and try them both. See the differences. Borrow one from a dive group. Have fun. Let us know what you decide and why.

Back
Top Bottom