First gear purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your local shop is aqualung, ask them if they have a rogue/outlaw that you can look at.

Excellent advice. I have an outlaw and really like it. I keep it in my ultralight kit when I break all the rules (ditching the long hose and use an inflater/second stage combo with no SPG).

Please don't wind yourself up in a knot trying to over complicate the decisions. This board is very tech heavy and as such most posts tend towards BP/W, long-hose setups, regulator manufacturers that support self servicing, and tech capable computers.

The truth is you can not really go wrong with any major manufacturer of kit, they are all high quality stuff. Each LDS will steer you towards a particular brand because they sell that brand or make a higher profit margin on it.

The most important thing is to determine where you want to go with your diving. If you see tech diving or cold water in your future then buy gear that is suited to those things now rather than buying multiple sets of gear.

BP/Ws are a lot more flexible in configuration than jacket-style BCDs, and a lot less expensive in the long run, but there is a learning curve to setting them up if you use a Hogarthian set-up. Alternatively there are deluxe harneses that are just as easy to configure as a jacket-style BCD. In the water they are much easier to keep in trim (horizontal), but slightly more difficult to maintain upright position on the surface, again don't over emphasize that last statement, with a little fin action it is very easy to stay upright on the surface in a BP/W.

The most important thing is to dive. Dive because you love being underwater, dive because the deeper you go the further you get away from stupid, dive because it is relaxing, or exhilarating, or because you love the people you dive with, but just dive.

Please don't wind yourself up in a knot trying to over complicate the decisions. This board is very tech heavy and as such most posts tend towards BP/W, long-hose setups, regulator manufacturers that support self servicing, and tech capable computers.

The truth is you can not really go wrong with any major manufacturer of kit, they are all high quality stuff. Each LDS will steer you towards a particular brand because they sell that brand or make a higher profit margin on it.

The most important thing is to determine where you want to go with your diving. If you see tech diving or cold water in your future then buy gear that is suited to those things now rather than buying multiple sets of gear.

BP/Ws are a lot more flexible in configuration than jacket-style BCDs, and a lot less expensive in the long run, but there is a learning curve to setting them up if you use a Hogarthian set-up. Alternatively there are deluxe harneses that are just as easy to configure as a jacket-style BCD. In the water they are much easier to keep in trim (horizontal), but slightly more difficult to maintain upright position on the surface, again don't over emphasize that last statement, with a little fin action it is very easy to stay upright on the surface in a BP/W.

The most important thing is to dive. Dive because you love being underwater, dive because the deeper you go the further you get away from stupid, dive because it is relaxing, or exhilarating, or because you love the people you dive with, but just dive.

Thank you, that is good info. My biggest thing is everybody says to try things, but that is much easier in places with lots of diving opportunities. I have 2 local dive shops, one pretty much only has oceanic, and really didn't know anything, other pretty much only has aqualung, and only stocks the one set, and had nothing but the regular rental gear to try.

I might try reaching out to some shops a bit further and see. I am tempted to go for the bp/w, as I am fairly comfortable in the water in general, and am not that worried about surface. I like the idea of the more customization and being able to tailor it to my liking while replacing individual parts.

I am setting a lot of good things about hog products, and leaning towards their total bouyancy control system and d3 reg set. For the price, it seems decent and well rounded. The only issue is would have to go 3 hours (in one of 4 different directions) to get service, but not sure that is a huge deal. Don't plan on living here that long, and they have service most places.

Consider holding off on the BC? It's the least important, heaviest part of your kit. Since you are only diving 10 times a year you could rent. I'd personally look to get a really nice regset since you already have a computer and exposure protection.

Your local shop is an aqualung shop? They probably sell/service Apeks too then. Check out the Apeks XTX50 regset with XTX40 octo. With a brass/glass gauge it should be no more than $850. It looks pretty similar to the Aqualung Leg3nds but not as inflated in price.

If you really want a BC, divegearexpress has a BP/W combo for $350.

At that point, I will continue to rent before spending $850 just on a reg. For ten dives a year, that seems silly for somebody just starting out, especially only diving 10 times a year at this point. At $1k for bc, gauges, reg, and computer it was about a toss up whether shedding the money was better, as I have to rent 2-3 times a year just to cover the maintenance costs.

At that point, I will continue to rent before spending $850 just on a reg. For ten dives a year, that seems silly for somebody just starting out, especially only diving 10 times a year at this point. At $1k for bc, gauges, reg, and computer it was about a toss up whether shedding the money was better, as I have to rent 2-3 times a year just to cover the maintenance costs.

You speak truth. For the amount of diving you do, buying isn’t the best economical choice. I assumed you were walking into that eyes wide open.

At that point it’s all about knowing that it’s yours, and you know how it’s been treated.

Good luck on your decision.

You speak truth. For the amount of diving you do, buying isn’t the best economical choice. I assumed you were walking into that eyes wide open.

At that point it’s all about knowing that it’s yours, and you know how it’s been treated.

Good luck on your decision.
Out of curiosity, what would the $850 apeks reg do that a 450 Titan, or a hog d3 would not do for a newer diver? Just wondering what the difference is.

in practical purposes, the apeks anecdotally has a first stage seat that lasts a bit longer than the hog and it comes with access to a larger dealer network for service.

the free parts for life program is a catch 22 for most because in order to keep the free parts, you end up not getting the benefit of the hardier seats as you end up having to service earlier anyways. and in a lot of cases, it really doesn't end up saving money (because you have to be doing enough dives to get a benefit, you have to find a shop that is doing the every other year inspections at a minimal cost, etc)

as for the titan, the 2nd is not balanced and it has no adjustment knob. the core supreme adds balancing, but no adjustment knob either. the adjustment knob is not mandatory, but is a nice to have.

Also, It's not just an $850 reg. Its the whole reg set. Both seconds with SPG and hoses.

Basically its everything in your original list you wanted for $1k minus the BC.

The Atomic Z2 (sealed piston for coldwater) is a less expensive option. They breathe really nice too. It would save you $70 or so. But you mentioned coldwater, so I went with the diaphram choice. Servicing will be more expensive as they have to fill the first with sealant which will cost you.

I am still reading through many of the posts, and one thing keeps coming up- people say you should try something to figure out what you want. I am looking to purchase my first set of gear, to stop renting.

I have heard good things about a BP/wing, but nobody around me has them in stock, and definitely doesn't rent them. How can I know if it is for me, if I cannot try them? I have tried a few different jackets through my rentals, never really noticed a huge difference.

My local shop suggests the aqua long basic package with the pro he, Titan reg, and i300. I had another shop suggests the oceanic open water package.

I know some will say the packages aren't always the best, but when I price out the items, they are quite a bit cheaper than piecemeal, but that is obviously buying those same items.

I like to do research, but it can be daunting when there is no real way to try different things to know what works for you.

Anybody have a suggestion for a first setup to get started that should work for most people? Is a BP/wing usually the way to go, or do you really need to try it out first?

Looking to keep it around$1k for bcd, reg, gages, and maybe a computer. Already have a mares puck plus pro I picked up used, but a backup would always work.

Info- live in Iowa, so do some colder water, not planning any ice dives or dry suit at this one, but did get to 47° and was fine in a 765 wetsuit. Have 25 dives, and have aow, eanx certs. Might be working towards rescue in a year or two. Probably only diving 10 or less times a year. Some local, some flying or in a cruise.

Thanks for any advice.

Hello!

Where do you do your local dives? Do you ever make it South to Table Rock or Beaver Lakes? If so, I have some extra BP/W's if you care to try one out.

DW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom