West Hawk Lake fatality - Manitoba, Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are several versions of this news story on the web, but they all seem to be just restating the original source with no investigative reporting. He was recovered by dive buddies so the actual cause is probably known to some locals. Cardiac events are possible at any age it seems, but who knows.

There is really no investigating to be done yet. The facts are currently limited to what was done to get him to the surface and the emergency procedures performed shore side. They all point to a massive cardiac event.

Divers here rarely talk to the press because all that’s ever reported is the initial “Scuba diver dies while in West Hawk” but they never follow up with the results pointing to massive cardiac arrest. There have been three fatalities in recent years and they were all handled the same by the press and they all had the same cause. They also never go into family history of heart conditions which are relevant in some of these 3 now 4 cases.

The other fact is that rescuing/retrieving a diver from the water and then performing CPR/AED and rescue breaths and O2 for a en extended period of time are traumatic events for the divers involved. All the training we get doesn’t prepare us for the trauma of loosing someone like that. I can’t imagine being able to talk to the press about it quickly. They will also suffer flashbacks when they inevitably have to teach or participate in Rescue Courses.

The autopsy will be the fact that counts. When I hear what the results are and that they’ve been made public I’ll share them here.... because they will barely register in the press.

The other fact is that rescuing/retrieving a diver from the water and then performing CPR/AED and rescue breaths and O2 for a en extended period of time are traumatic events for the divers involved. All the training we get doesn’t prepare us for the trauma of loosing someone like that. I can’t imagine being able to talk to the press about it quickly. They will also suffer flashbacks when they inevitably have to teach or participate in Rescue Courses.

The autopsy will be the fact that counts. When I hear what the results are and that they’ve been made public I’ll share them here.... because they will barely register in the press.
Yes, I am sure that the post incident stress can be heavy. I certainly hope that all involved are obtaining needed support and talking it out. Thanks for promising to post the results.

As suspected it has been confirmed by the medical examiner that the diver did indeed suffer a severe heart attack and that there was little that could have been done regardless of where or when it happened.

The divers involved both in the water and on shore are doing 'ok' and the community is rallying around them.

Used Divers City to dive West Hawk Lake a few years ago. Great, safety conscious people, and a nice dive site. Condolences to the family, friends and the rescue team.

IS it safe enough for a diver too go down to a 100 feet in a 7 mm wetsuite or does temperature change that much where its just to cold.

IS it safe enough for a diver too go down to a 100 feet in a 7 mm wetsuite or does temperature change that much where its just to cold.
That would depend on location and personal tolerance. I'd prefer a drysuit up there.

Safe? Yes. Students do it all the time but the instructors and DM's will watch them for signs of discomfort. or hypothermia. The bottom temp is cold (5c 41f) but they're only in that thermocline for a few minutes. My kids dive in 7mm Reactives all summer but we usually keep the depth above 15m (50') and thus the temp above 10c (50f).

Typically though the only time a wetsuit diver is that deep and cold around here is for the deep dive of either their AOW or Deep Diver. After that they stay out of those depths until they get a drysuit, which is the norm for anyone who decides to dive locally a lot.

Safe? Yes. Students do it all the time but the instructors and DM's will watch them for signs of discomfort. or hypothermia. The bottom temp is cold (5c 41f) but they're only in that thermocline for a few minutes. My kids dive in 7mm Reactives all summer but we usually keep the depth above 15m (50') and thus the temp above 10c (50f).

Typically though the only time a wetsuit diver is that deep and cold around here is for the deep dive of either their AOW or Deep Diver. After that they stay out of those depths until they get a drysuit, which is the norm for anyone who decides to dive locally a lot.
I’m doing my AOW in spring and decided not too get my Dry suit course certification / DrySuit till next year I wasn’t sure of how cold it gets at 100 feet in a 7mm neoprene suit. Thanks for the information it’s much appreciate. 👍

I’m doing my AOW in spring and decided not too get my Dry suit course certification / DrySuit till next year I wasn’t sure of how cold it gets at 100 feet in a 7mm neoprene suit. Thanks for the information it’s much appreciate. 👍
Oh **** I didn't look at your location! Yeah students do it both ways... pros and cons to both. Spring water temps can be a bit colder in the upper thermoclines but a good wetsuit, hood and gloves will get you through it with some sunshine between dives. Regardless of which shop you've signed up with the instructors are all great and will take care of you.

If you see a blue dive trailer flying a jolly roger and a tattooed white bearded diver shoreside come over and say hey :)

Air bubbles in neoprene compress, the deeper you go, the thinner your suit gets. Losing both thermal protection and buoyancy. Dry suit does not do either (well, it does, but you can add more air).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom