Vibratory tumbler for regulator parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UFO8MyCow

Registered
Reaction score
I picked up a few regulators that are in need of cleanup and don’t currently have a ultrasonic cleaner. Would there be any issue with using the vibratory tumbler that I already have for reloading? I Would of corse clean it out first and I have plenty of new media.

Vinegar will probably clean everything just fine, even without an ultrasonic cleaner. I would NOT put it in media because of what @lexvil said.

I picked up a few regulators that are in need of cleanup and don’t currently have a ultrasonic cleaner. Would there be any issue with using the vibratory tumbler that I already have for reloading?

Yes, there would be an issue . . .

I've worked on scuba equipment for years, and would simply splurge on an ultrasonic cleaner, rather than use a tumbler. Brass, as you may well know, is notoriously soft; and you're far more likely to do damage to the chrome and finer components than to effectively clean them. There's no way in hell that I would use that method; nor would any manufacturer ever suggest it, even while narced.

Some cleaners can be had for less than fifty dollars; and I've provided a link to the one that a DIY friend has used, for the last few years, without any hitch or complaint:

6L Ultrasonic Cleaner Stainless Steel Industry Heated Heater w/Timer | eBay

What could be more better than 39.99?

And free shipping? They must be insane!

I would think the other thing would be, what are you going to use as a tumbling medium? run the risk of leaving a residue on it...or maybe using something that's too abrasive...

I've not used a vibratory tumbler for anything regulator related but a Harbor Freight cheapo ultrasonic cleaner has worked well.

I agree with the others about plugging small holes. I know ho tough it can be to get media out of flash holes sometimes, I'd hate to try it with a regulator.

That ebay item is a scam. It is a new account and is made to separate you from your money. Cheap people pay twice. Once for a cheap unrealistic price. Secondly, for a normally priced item.

PS: If you want a cheaper alternative, you can buy just the "speaker" part, one that does vibrations and glue it to your own container or even your very kitchen sink, and use your own power supply. You can use more than one if you keep them far apart or use on a perpendicular surface. Example: Aluminum Alloy 100W 28KHz Ultrasonic Piezoelectric Transducer Cleaner Silvery 700615709250 | eBay

PPS: Different frequencies are used for different kinds of cleanings, as some frequencies are better at breaking down and clearing certain particles than others. Frequencies below 80 kHz are used in cleaning components that are rugged and have heavier contaminants on them. Frequencies above 80 kHz are for more delicate components that have smaller contaminants that must still be removed as cleaning requirements are high.

PPPS: Evidently these tranducers need a driver to emit. Would make sense to buy together: Example (this one is 220v!!!): 100w 28khz Ultrasonic Cleaning Transducer Cleaner High Performance +Power Driver | eBay

That ebay item is a scam. It is a new account and is made to separate you from your money. Cheap people pay twice. Once for a cheap unrealistic price. Secondly, for a normally priced item.

I picked up an identical one, as a spare, just for kicks, from another seller, for about fifty dollars; and my girlfriend has been using it regularly for the last year or so, to clean her watches; her jewelry and drafting pens. So too, the aforementioned friend who became a do-it-yourselfer; and has used one heavily for a couple of years, at least.

Most of these units, regardless of cost, are made in the same Uyghur reeducation camps, anyway -- right next to the iPhones and Nikes.

Forty to fifty bucks seems a low risk; we spent more on mediocre Chinese take-out last week. Willing to roll those dice; I don't have time to cobble together crap, off of eBay.

That vendor, in the link, may very well be new (everyone starts somewhere); don't have a horse in that race; but at least two people that I know, have that particular cleaner and are quite happy with it . . .

Back
Top Bottom