Correct location for pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OTF: What buddy?
I had a 19 cf pony years ago and found it awkward slinging it. A million will disagree. I got a smaller bottle and attached it to the tank. Bungee around my neck for the 2nd stage. Used it once due to a newbie mistake at 120'. Used it a few times since (2008-9?). Now I use the pony reg. as a backup if my reg. reg busts a hose.
A well respected instructor I knew in FL said the only time she had a pony was when she found one diving solo at 100'.
I dive solo all the time, but no pony since I rarely go below 30'. Now for the "practice CESA" discussion....

For the benefit of Americans the reason I asked this question is because for at least some of my diving I,ands the other divers I am with are now required to carry a pony bottle instead of relying on another divers octopus. This is to prevent spread of covid - 19. I do not know how widespread this practice is yet but the day after I ordered my pony bottle the supplier phoned to apologize for being out of stock due to a lot of divers buying them. I have only used a (hired) pony a few times before and on those occasions it was slung on my d rings, where I could see the button pressure gauge and operate the valve.
That’s interesting, new practice to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

In that case, and since you’re diving in cold water, a 30 or 40cu ft tank is what I’d chose. Big enough to easily ascend from 100 ft without worry.

That’s interesting, new practice to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

In that case, and since you’re diving in cold water, a 30 or 40cu ft tank is what I’d chose. Big enough to easily ascend from 100 ft without worry.
I would agree 30 or 40cf. I personally suggest the Al 40. Same price as the 30, better characteristics in the water both full or empty. No noticeable weight difference in the water. Trims/streamlines better, I have never heard anyone complain about bringing too much air. Oh and btw, if there comes a time when you truly need a pony..... (not a shallow recreational look at the fishies dive. That’s what cesa is for) a bigger air supply is always better. A panicked diver can breath 5x more then their normal SAC and RMV.

There is no "correct" location! Whatever you find best is where you should carry it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom