Dive Shop On Wheels Research

Good Idea?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always thought this sounded like a good idea and had toyed with an air bank on wheels here in RI. The most popular dive site in RI hasn't got a dive shop or air station within 10 miles of the site. So that would lead one to think that there is a need to be filled. However history says otherwise. There have been 2 attempts at dive shops close to this site in the past 30 years both are gone. There just aren't enough divers to support a dive shop. During the time I toyed with the air bank on wheels idea I found that there is no money in selling air, all the money is spent pumping it.
It's considered a loss leader. Most folks expect to be able to fill their tanks at a dive shop, if there's no air what's the point? I did see one place that sold US Divers gear as well as other sporting equipment years ago but did not fill tanks. They were in business for many years, so nothing is set in stone. I bought my 1st wet suit at that store because the only other dive shop in the city was too far for my parents to allow me to peddle my bike to get there.

I wish you luck hope. I read about your success story!

@tgalx3
inquired
do you know why they failed and at what point ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There were a number of factors
1) local attitude - beach houses are $$$
2) City & (state?) license $$$
3) Parking permits $$$$
4) Minimal diver support
5) Minimal operating hours
6) Minimal inventory (O rings, mask & fin straps etc)
7) Minimal income from sales and air
8) Seasonal activity
9) Weather (It seldom rains in SoCal)
10) Too early in Market place ?

The two known shops that attempted satellite curb side support have been out of business for many years
Attitudes of the public and divers have changed since the early pioneering days in SoCal.

Suggest that you check state and local ordinances, meet with city or cities officials prior to investing time and $$$
If approved
Go For it !
SDM

I feel like this is a relevant article: Creative Customer Care

I've spent more than a few paychecks at the above shop in my life. Their customer service has always been beyond reproach.

Lots of work, sure. But I think it's a workable business model, and certainly serves to build business-customer relationships if you're the only one who's able to adapt quickly enough to allow them to safely continue their leisure activities in strange times.

There's also a lot more investment and hazard, liability, etc. involved in a mobile fill station model though.

Basing a business on people that aren’t prepared seems like a bad model. Good customer service for an existing shop though.

sell tacos and beer on the side. offer key, phone, and wallet lockers for people who don't want to lock them in their car. maybe have a gear storage option for people who don't want to lug their own stuff back and forth. how about a wetsuit spinner to get the excess water out before people pack it away in their car?

I would think service would be a better seller than gear. Yes, keep the save a dive stuff around but it will probably get yellow and stiff before you sell it.

but definitely beer and tacos.

sell tacos and beer on the side. offer key, phone, and wallet lockers for people who don't want to lock them in their car. maybe have a gear storage option for people who don't want to lug their own stuff back and forth. how about a wetsuit spinner to get the excess water out before people pack it away in their car?

I would think service would be a better seller than gear. Yes, keep the save a dive stuff around but it will probably get yellow and stiff before you sell it.

but definitely beer and tacos.

All good ideas but the beer would require a license which means you need to know the right people in town to give fat envelopes to. Or is that just RI?

I do believe that most of those other things can be done without a license or even a permit. Although bonding maybe a good idea if storing valuables.

That is why I am going around asking local divers to fill out the survey. I went to a popular beach this weekend but there were only classes. Coming from an instructor, I didn't have the hear to interrupt the instructor.

Challenge is that you are going to be looking for dive sites with a larger number of people that go on a regular basis. Which will be probably be locations that are used for instructor led courses or the rare special events. I'm sure many instructors probably bring their own set of spares for students along with a save-a-dive kit for the rental fleet. That just reduced your potential customers by say 50%.

Then the need for tanks/tank refills. Couple considerations: 1) As mentioned hard to be profitable without overcharging. 2) How many people plan a dive day without renting or bringing the appropriate amount of tanks? 3) Diving in the Seattle or surrounding areas often involves planning the dives around the tide schedule. This would reduce the opportunities for divers to do multiple dives in a day. Reducing the need for tank refills.

Might make more money setting up a coffee/snack cart at the local sites for the instructors and their students in-between dives.

How about outfitting a boat for divers to spend their surface intervals? Moor it out off a tough entry and for the low, low price of $29(?) divers can hop on, get a fill, use the head, and get a bottle of water and snack and use of a bench seat for 75 minutes. Additional services (jacket rental with price inversely related to ambient temperature?) available at ala carte pricing.

:)

I'm not in your area, but I like the idea of someone coming to my home or workplace to fill my tank. I might also patronize a fill truck that could park within walking distance of where I shore dive so I could refill for a second dive without giving up my parking space. I only own one tank (plus a pony) and that's not likely to change soon because I live in a small urban apartment. I pay $5 for air fills with a card, but I'd pay triple if someone saved me a trip. But I don't know how many people there are like me, or if $15 is enough to cover your costs of coming to us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom