Baby Shampoo Ratio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might want to check your information on baby shampoos. According to Johnson's Baby Shampoo's website and ingredients on the label, there are no parabens or sulfates in their baby shampoo, which I have been using as a mask defog since 1965, and for shampooing kids' heads since 1970. I do not know about surfactants in the baby shampoo, but cannot get too bent out of shape about that considering all the other really toxic crap we humans are putting in the ocean. I wish you success with your mask defog marketing, but after trying and disliking most commercial mask defogs, I'll stick with what I know works, doesn't burn my eyes, and is really inexpensive.
Thanks so much for your comment! And I would love to nerd-out here with you if you don't mind! Total ingredient nerd here! :D Brand name shampoos were not mentioned in my comment, but there are plenty of "tear-free" shampoos out there that contain all of the toxic ingredients mentioned and plenty of other undesirable ingredients too. According to Johnson's Baby Shampoo ingredient label, it does contain "Fragrance". That very general term can be problematic. Did you know that over 3000 chemicals can "hide" under the term fragrance? And out of those, hundreds can be toxic and harmful to our bodies and our ecosystem. Many are endocrine disruptors, carcinogens, and allergens. Parabens is just one of those hiding under that general term. And sadly, yes you're on point with all of the toxic crap we put into our oceans. There are so many personal care products, in addition to shampoos and sunscreens, that are harming our beautiful blue world so we are all about educating and helping people understand and know their ingredients! When you know better, you do better! Happy diving! :)

Thanks so much for your comment! And I would love to nerd-out here with you if you don't mind! Total ingredient nerd here! :D Brand name shampoos were not mentioned in my comment, but there are plenty of "tear-free" shampoos out there that contain all of the toxic ingredients mentioned and plenty of other undesirable ingredients too. According to Johnson's Baby Shampoo ingredient label, it does contain "Fragrance". That very general term can be problematic. Did you know that over 3000 chemicals can "hide" under the term fragrance? And out of those, hundreds can be toxic and harmful to our bodies and our ecosystem. Many are endocrine disruptors, carcinogens, and allergens. Parabens is just one of those hiding under that general term. And sadly, yes you're on point with all of the toxic crap we put into our oceans. There are so many personal care products, in addition to shampoos and sunscreens, that are harming our beautiful blue world so we are all about educating and helping people understand and know their ingredients! When you know better, you do better! Happy diving! :)
Of course, in 2020, if you bother to take few extra minutes you can generally find all of the info you might want on ingredients on the manufacturer's website:

Baby Shampoo

Our Ingredients

...But I guess when you are marketing your own products, it's easier to just imply that other products have harmful ingredients...

+1 on JJ baby shampoo. A few drops while suiting up, spread and rinse at water's edge (in fact that's what I'm doing in my photo). No problems afterwards. Cheap, works, smells good...tough to find fault in that!

Alright it will be a battle of BS vs Stream2Sea. Looking forward to compare both ans post result. Post services is slow these days same for custom clearance, so don’t hold your breath, it won’t happen tomorrow.

@Joneill, Thanks for the manufacturer's links. I was particularly interested in the discussion of antibacterial additive(s).

I went back and pulled these from my 'shelf-life' area:
BS Dilutions.jpg

I used up all of my 1/10 dilutions more than once. (Should have made some up for shelf-life testing) But no real loss.

>>> So it appears to me that J&J Baby Shampoo is a balancing act. It is pretty obvious that the shampoo itself can be used by algae as food. The algae growth in the 1/10,000 dilution is limited by lack of food, and the colony type growth in the 1/1,000 dilution is almost held in check by the antibacterials. So there is a hypothesis.

This might make a good science fair project...

Hype...

+1 on JJ baby shampoo. A few drops while suiting up, spread and rinse at water's edge (in fact that's what I'm doing in my photo). No problems afterwards. Cheap, works, smells good...tough to find fault in that!

Drives my eyes crazy that's why I stuck with my spit.

Other drops I've tried also drove my eyes to tears so again spit.

I haven't tried S2S

Yeah I guess the logic is that you will contaminate the water? I don’t get it as well but I want to dive sooooo.

I hope they don't put that mythical "did anyone pee in the pool" stuff in your quarry.

For a limited time, I would be willing to sell vials of my (probably) covid free spit, in a scientifically formulated solution with baby shampoo, and a little unicorn piss as a mask defogging solution. The smell of babies, steak, and beer make for a pleasant diving experience, and if for some reason your mask fogs up, you can just let a little water in, swish it around, and clear to reactivate the mask defogging properties. My supply of unicorn piss is very limited so act now. Everyone that has used this solution agrees that it is probably the best mask defogger they have used, especially with the ability to reactivate the defogging properties during the dive...multiple times if necessary, particularly if you dropped in with a hot mask or do that cute little thing where you always exhale just a little through your nose like I do. The tiny nose bubbles are soothing during a dive, keep your sinuses clear, reduce your air consumption, and may attract mermaids.

Seriously though, If I think about it I throw a little travel sized bottle of BS in my mask box and just put a drop in, smear it around, and rinse before I dive. If I forget, a healthy dose of beer and steak or coffee and donut spit smeared around and rinsed works too. Finally, the never fail solution during the dive is about a table spoon of water in the mask and let it coat the fog. Clear it if you don't like water around your nose.

Safe diving to all, if anyone would like to patent my super secret formula, its for sale....

Jay

For a limited time, I would be willing to sell vials of my (probably) covid free spit, in a scientifically formulated solution with baby shampoo, and a little unicorn piss as a mask defogging solution. The smell of babies, steak, and beer make for a pleasant diving experience, and if for some reason your mask fogs up, you can just let a little water in, swish it around, and clear to reactivate the mask defogging properties. My supply of unicorn piss is very limited so act now.

This wins the internet today!:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom