Gradient Factors - What is Everyone Using?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you are a rec diver low is fine or perhaps med if it is cold. all things I have read says low unless you are working cold or something else to justify it. You realize that a gf of 70 does not give you much bottom time in exchange for little if any benefit. How much depends on the computer you are using.
Honestly, if you are concerned that your GF numbers impact bottom time you are not using appropriate tools. Either do the deco or take the risk. Unfortunately many divers are unable to do the deco so have to take the risk for longer bottom times.

...............Either do the deco or take the risk..........

Exactly! As the old saying goes "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime".

If the computer is running Buhlman with a GF then it doesn't matter which computer it is; they will all give nearly the same answer for the same GF..

I was refering to what different brands set values of low medium and high conservatism to. sorry about that

Honestly, if you are concerned that your GF numbers impact bottom time you are not using appropriate tools. Either do the deco or take the risk. Unfortunately many divers are unable to do the deco so have to take the risk for longer bottom times.

I was refering to the implied idea of if a little conservatism is good then the max should be better.

I tried to suggest there is a price to pay for using the max conservatism when it is undeeded to do so. That you need to understand the tool's functions and not use it willy nilly other wise why not just use a costom setting if available and say gf hi = 40 and be real safe.

I was refering to what different brands set values of low medium and high conservatism to. sorry about that
Could you more specific? Are you referring to Buhlmann-based computers using words like high, medium, low, or to all computers using those words?

I used 50/90 for recreational dives and 50/80 or 50/85 for most of my tech dives. I’ve been out of the water for a while now so I’d work my way back to those values and probably start with 50/80 for rec dives and 50/75 for tech dives.

Much the same . . .

I know it has been said countless times but I am so impressed on how well Dr Mitchell explains the theory behind Deco techniques!

it is so simple to understand just watching those videos !

(on the topic) I obviously dive sec well under NDL so not too relevant I'm afraid... (medium setting of my Crest)

Could you more specific? Are you referring to Buhlmann-based computers using words like high, medium, low, or to all computers using those words?

. First part of your question YES any computer that uses gf factors tied to lo med hi. second part of yoru question,,,,,, if they dont use GF's , and they can they can use what they want , however they have for comparison equivilant GF hi related values tables. The obvious answer to your question is no because if they do not use gf's,,, it is not something that can be directly attached to that computers hi med low setting. I have a chart somewhere that has a equivinant settings table on it. so you pick form a list of computers no matter what algorythm they use and it will say in rec mode low setting or perhaps setting 1 is equal to a gf 95/30 a med tech is 90/40 while a med rec is 85/30 etc. then there are computers that have perhaps 4 settings where low is 100/100. Again you have to know your tool to make the appropriate setting and to use the setting that is proper for your dive conditions. I have in the past used that table to get all on the same GHF settings one computer may be low while another may be med setting to derive relatively close results, other wise the diver with the most conservative setting drives the dive. that could be good or bad but if that computer is known that is is set appropriately for that diver then the diver controls the dive and the others adjusting their computers to get similar results will allign themselves with that one diver. This is handy when you are making a deep dive where if everyone set too medium the resultant NDL's could be a 5 or more window from low to high. If you allign them to the most sensitive diver than all will allow a NDL with in perhaps a couple of minutes and all divers are more on the same page when it comes to decisions as whether looking at something may over stay your bottom time or drive the group into doing that.

I have a chart somewhere that has a equivinant settings table on it. so you pick form a list of computers no matter what algorythm they use and it will say in rec mode low setting or perhaps setting 1 is equal to a gf 95/30 a med tech is 90/40 while a med rec is 85/30 etc. then there are computers that have perhaps 4 settings where low is 100/100.
Could you show that chart? I suspect it is for the first dive only?

Could you show that chart? I suspect it is for the first dive only?
Ill see if i can find it. mine is some what limited but it is an example of what one loos at. and it should have nothing to do with first or last dive only.

Back
Top Bottom