New life for old steel 72’s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBunga

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My other posts are now too old, but wanted to post an update. I finally got my tanks down and back from hydro. All 5 (4 pst and a Norris) old tanks passed and were plus stamped! Woot! Now to O2 clean them and have nitrox tanks for me and my boys! Some of these tanks have not seen action in 20+ years, all back to active duty. I’ll try and get some pics of the tanks to show last hydro before now and today’s.
Update: instead of picks, just data for now.
Tank 1: born August 1970, previous hydro April 1998 (22 yrs between hydro - so much for those that think tanks are only good for 10 yrs)
Tank 2: born January 1969, previous hydro July 2004
Tank 3: born May 1972, previous hydro (and only other one - 1978 - tank had a thick cover so stamp barely marked the tank itself so I can’t make out the month. Cover has been removed) This is a very clean tank, I think it was barely used in almost 50 years..that’s about to change.
Tank 4: born April 1972, previous hydro November 2004
Tank 5: born June 1966, previous hydro June 2001

Where did you go for + hydro?

Mermet springs’s hydro folks. Don’t know who they are behind the scenes, just went through mermet.

I just sold my last 72's, they're boxed up and ready for fedex. Good tanks but my daughter wants to try hp80's and I'm onto 100's now.

Where did you go for + hydro?
+ rating is done at the same Hydro place as any other tank. Original + rating from original Hydro date. Most Hydro guys won't plus em up unless asked too. Doesn't cost more.

+ rating is done at the same Hydro place as any other tank. Original + rating from original Hydro date. Most Hydro guys won't plus em up unless asked too. Doesn't cost more.
For newer tanks that have ree stamped on them it’s generally as easy as asking. For my old steels there are no simple published records and hydro guys either need to have/find records or do measurements to get a usable base to determine a ree to use. From what I’ve found, not many hydro places put in that effort. I called every hydro place within two hours of me and none of them would even consider it. My local shop is great but hydro guy wants manufacturers docs. So although he’s helped me acquire tanks, he won’t plus them. Luckily I found a place so I’m happy for a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom