Recommendations for a Newbie SoCal diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’ve only logged dives in warm waters but would like to test the waters around me now. (Haha)
I’m in LA and am looking for recommendations for specific dive sites and boats to try.
I am partial to macro (I do bring my Tg5) and would love to dive for lobsters one day.
Overnight and multi day trips sound interesting but for my first go, maybe a day trip would be best.
I have a new 7mm and am hoping that warm enough. 3mm hood and Lavacore suit too. Will I need gloves?

thanks in advance

If you've only ever dived in warm water, you might want to start slow, with a guide, at an easy site. I've had great experiences with guided dives at the dive park on Catalina with Catalina Diver's Supply.

Welcome!

Normally my advice is to attend Los Angeles County Underwater Unit's Rock, Rips, and Reefs series. They cover the county's most popular dive sites and do skin gear orientations (aka freediving), usually there is an unofficial scuba dive afterwards, conditions permitting. They also have a course called the Advanced Diver program, which teaches divers everything they need to know about diving in the Southern California bite as a recreational diver. It's an exceptional course, and a tremendous value. Sadly both are not happening this year due to COVID-19 but hopefully next year. I always recommend Hollywood divers if you are considering a more technical diving path.

That being said some popular dive spots are White's Point which features warm geothermal vents, Point Dume which has some great underwater pinnacles, the Palos Verdes peninsula a bit of a hike but great dive site, and then you have the Redondo peir (vet's park) with easy access to very deep canyon that brings in a lot of diversified marine life. Perhaps one of the greatest treasures is the Avalon dive park on Catalina island. Great dive park with some submerged structures, great kelp, and usually lots of marine life including giant sea bass, all in an area that is relatively sheltered. Further south in Orange county you have some wonderful easy shore dives from Shaw's Cove and Crescent Bay.

For boats you are in luck, Long beach area holds most of the region's dive boat fleet. I used the Magician, Pacific Star (Pac Star), and Cee Ray. I know a lot of people also really enjoy the Sundiver fleet. Except for the sundiver fleet most are capable of doing liveaboard style diving but many aren't due to COVID. Also our liveaboards are not the tropical private suite style liveaboard but a small bunk below decks type of liveaboard, just as a forewarning. A bit further north you have the majority of the rest of the southern california dive boat fleet out of Ventura and Santa Barbara. Out of there I have dove off the Peace and Specter and both are excellent boats and crews. If you head south to San Diego we have the excellent day boats run by Waterhorse and Marissa, these however are strickly day trip only boats. The Horizon (another great boat and crew) is San Diego's sole (i think?) live aboard style dive boat.

Your 7mm should serve you fine in all but the coldest of conditions, you will want gloves however. Drysuits are common here but not required. Occasionally DUI (the company not the crime) will have parking lot sales at their HQ in San Diego with phenomenal deals so keep an eye on their facebook page.

I have been reading many dive boats do not have dive masters. In my almost 300 dives, I have not dived without one at least in close proximity.
is this always the case?

I have been reading many dive boats do not have dive masters. In my almost 300 dives, I have not dived without one at least in close proximity.
is this always the case?

Dive masters will be on the boat but won’t be accompanying you on the dive, it’s up to you and your buddy. If you want a private DM they are normally available for hire at an additional cost.

Especially in these Covid times, diving off the beach in SoCal is a great option. I especially recommend the Laguna sites, such as Crescent Bay and Shaw's Cove. Palos Verdes has some good beach diving sites, but are a little more challenging to access. I personally think Vet's is a glorified mud hole.

is this always the case?
Correct. There's a DM on the boat but they don't get in the water with you. Generally if you want to hire a DM for a boat dive, you have to pay for their ticket plus another $100 or so.

As others have said, A DM will not be in the water with you and you would need to pay extra for. The boats do a really good job of giving a dive briefing and also of pairing you up with a buddy, if you don't have one. Generally speaking, the boat Captain's do a really good job of picking dive sites with no current issues and in terms of Catalina, Anacapa and Santa Cruz; navigation is about as easy as it gets. Descend the anchor line, take note of your depth and surroundings at the anchor, then pick your direction (left or right) and go the time and distance you want and then turn around and come back. If you miss the anchor upon return, not to worry. Do your safety stop and pop up and look for the boat- it won't be too far away.

As others have said, A DM will not be in the water with you and you would need to pay extra for. The boats do a really good job of giving a dive briefing and also of pairing you up with a buddy, if you don't have one. Generally speaking, the boat Captain's do a really good job of picking dive sites with no current issues and in terms of Catalina, Anacapa and Santa Cruz; navigation is about as easy as it gets. Descend the anchor line, take note of your depth and surroundings at the anchor, then pick your direction (left or right) and go the time and distance you want and then turn around and come back. If you miss the anchor upon return, not to worry. Do your safety stop and pop up and look for the boat- it won't be too far away.
5mm gloves?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom