Recommendations for a Newbie SoCal diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would need to use my camera...
I saw some aqualung gloves that have removable tips for the thumb and forefinger. Wouldn’t that defeat the purpose or is the water introduction kept to a minimum? I wonder.

5mm gloves?
That would be my preference. I have used 3mm, but only in the warmest months of the year down there. I am a big fan of these Waterproof 5mm gloves. Still have some dexterity, anatomically correct, easy to don and doff. I wear them up here in the PNW down to 48 degrees. I am not a dry glove guy, even though I use a drysuit. I just prefer neoprene wet gloves and have tried LOTS! These really ROCK!
They aren't cheap, but they will last forever. https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-G...ocphy=9033610&hvtargid=pla-397207117322&psc=1

My best advice:

- Take the Rocks, Rips and Reef course mentioned above;
- Hire an instructor for your first few dives; and
- Leave the camera at home, at least for the first ten dives or so.

Many highly experienced warm water-only divers, including instructors, have an extremely difficult time diving in cold, dark water. The thick exposure protection, hood and gloves not only restrict movement, but cause much larger buoyancy shifts. The restricted visibility makes navigation skills, buddy communication and tracking skills and the ability to remain calm in the water critical.

As you've learned, DMs stay on the boat, unless there's a problem in the water and that problem makes its way to the surface. You'll need to get comfortable with planning and executing your dives on your own (with a buddy, of course), even when neither of you have been to that dive site previously.

You have lots to learn and to re-adjust to before you should add the complication of attempting photography.

The best way to learn is to hire an instructor and have them help you with the transition.

Our first on our own dive was off the great escape (no longer in op sadly due to captain s death). I was shocked when i realized they wanted us to giant stride into the Pacific alone. We spoke to the dm and he did a great job giving us a great dive plan . We had a great time. I think with your experience you should be ok, but hiring a private dm is a good choice as they will know all the cool spots at the dive sites. Stay safe!

I don't think you need 5mm gloves. I run cold and I've dived plenty with no gloves, and pretty much only use a very thin (1mm), cheap ($10) pair. They give me more dexterity than bare hands by keeping them from going numb. But I use a 7mm hood and a Sharkskin jacket under my 7mm when diving wet, and I have a drysuit for repetitive winter dives.

And I second the suggestion to leave the camera behind until you've got the hang of diving in a thick wetsuit without a guide.

see if any of the socal dive clubs or dive groups have an easy dive scheduled and ask to join.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom