Gear set up for SoCal and Bay Area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I just dropped by my LDS and spend a couple of hours talking to them about their dive gear recommendations and priced out a setup:

Exposure protection ($355): Xcel Hydroflex 7mm wetsuit + 6/5 mm Hydroflex Hood
BP/W BCD ($595): Scubapro stainless steel backplate + Mares Donut Bladder + Harness + Weights
Reg ($790): Aqualung Core Supreme + ABS Octo + Basic SPG
Dive computer ($300): Aqualung i300c
Compass ($50): Basic compass

They are offering a 10% discount off everything if I purchase the BCD, Reg, and DC in a single purchase, so after applying that to the prices above, this should work out to about $2000 after taxes, and since I’m spending that much, they’re also offering me 4 SSI specialty classes + Rescue Diver for free.

I should also add that I did consider the Deep 6 Excursion, Deep 6 Signature reg, and DGX BP/W set up, but in that case I wouldn't get the 10% discount on the rest of the gear and also would only get 2-3 classes for free (1 free class/$500) and also wouldn't get the rescue diver class, so it seems like that actually ends up being more expensive.

Any thoughts on this set up? The gear seems like stuff that I won’t outgrow as long as I stay in the realm of recreational diving and their prices seem pretty fair to me, but I was hoping to see if this community had any other thoughts before I went with it.
The abs octo is garbage. Either breathes like or free flows. Get a good one and dont buy twice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom