SAFT battery and computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrackaFish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
After putting it off for awhile, another thread got me off my butt and I ordered a couple of SAFT for our Perdix and Petrel computers. My question is “Are these batteries safe to leave in or should I remove them if not diving for a few weeks?” Thanks in advance for your comments. Be safe

they are less prone to leaking than alkaline as they are lithium primary batteries. for extended periods on the order of months though, it may be prudent to remove.

Take out the battery. It’s cheap insurance and re-setting your Shearwater (once you put the battery back in) is easy.

EDIT: If only a few weeks, I’d be comfortable leaving the battery in. I was thinking 30+ days.

Have never had a problem leaving a saft in until it is dead. BTW saft batteries can be expensive. I bought a few for like 6 for 10 bucks. They didnto have teh saft name on them though.

Lithium batteries don't leak. We've replaced many lithium SAFT 3,7 V left for years inside several of the oil-filled Uwatec Aladins and none of them leaked.

Take out the battery. It’s cheap insurance and re-setting your Shearwater (once you put the battery back in) is easy.

EDIT: If only a few weeks, I’d be comfortable leaving the battery in. I was thinking 30+ days.

Few weeks, no worries. If more than a few months it is time to pull them.

Thanks for all the thoughts. I was diving a couple of times a month, but with the current virus issues travel plans are getting changed weekly it seems.

Have never had a problem leaving a saft in until it is dead. BTW saft batteries can be expensive. I bought a few for like 6 for 10 bucks. They didnto have teh saft name on them though.

You are right that they are not cheap, I paid about $11 for two. But as many on this forum have said “Buy once, Cry once”. I am hoping that will be the case here. It will be interesting to see how long they last. Be safe

You are right that they are not cheap, I paid about $11 for two. But as many on this forum have said “Buy once, Cry once”. I am hoping that will be the case here. It will be interesting to see how long they last. Be safe

I want to say the life is about 50 hours with no AI or compass.

I bought a bunch of ramway er 14505 3.6V batteries and am having no issues with them. they were about a buck a piece last year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom