DUI dry suits price differences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

F_Raven

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm interested in investing in a dry suit, heard very many great things about DUI dry suits specifically. Looking at the them & the price point on the better ones are almost double then the less custom ones. Anyone have experience with the TLS & Yukon dry suit series? I don't mind investing 3k on a dry suit but my only hesitation is that is it ABSOLUTELY necessary to invest in the TLS series? I'm not looking to making it all colorful or anything of the sort, black on black for me please. With that being said I'm interested as well in the Yukon 2 which is 1k less BUT I don't really have much experience with dry suits as a whole. Can anyone give me insight on the pro's & con's in investing 3k vs 1.7k?

Thank You.

I own the Yukon 2 and am very happy with it as my first dry suit.

I think the higher you go in price, the more abrasion resistant the material gets. I compared my suit to a Cortez and the Cortez feels much thicker and tougher. You also get features like dual pockets and knee "pads."

I'm sure someone with more experience than me will be by shortly with a correction or more information for you.

I purchased a DUI Yukon II and a TLS 30/30 at the same. I originally went in to have a TLS 30/30 custom made and the Yukon was a return that I got at an unbelievable deal.

The TLS 30/30 is an odd suit that isn't advertised as for sale but they will still make them. They do not have boots.... they have ankle seals. I originally purchased it to use in tropical water too cool for a 5 mil.

The Yukon's fabric is more flexible, lighter, and also seems to not be no where near as durable.

I was new to drysuits when I made my purchase, and I now understand why the 30/30 was discontinued. The ankle seals are a pain. As a result, I only use my Yukon II paired with a Fourth Element Halo 3D. But most of my drysuit diving is in quarries where the water temps can be in low 40's.

I'll soon be sending my 30/30 back to DUI to have boots attached.... effectively turning it into a TLS350 with a cave cut. It will only work with lighter undergarmets, the Halo is too much material. So it will be a streamlined suit that I will use in lieu of a 7mil. Which isn't something I have much use for.

If I would do it all over again, I would have just purchased the Yukon. Which would be to have an inexpensive drysuit for the little bit of diving I do in cold water.

If you are going to do lots of cave diving or wreck penetration, I might reconsider the Yukon. But just open water recreational diving in cold temps? I'd say go for it.

I contacted DUI recently several times regarding repair of my TLS350 Signature. They completely blew me off, not even the courtesy of a reply, and I have been a customer of theirs for nearly 20 years. I would run far, fast and quickly to another manufacturer since, in my opinion, their customer service is non-existent. Currently looking at a Seaskin.

A lot of the variation in suit pricing results from the details. Anything that can be "bulk produced" is going to cost less. I think the Yukon is like that... a basic suit, with few frills, and available in any colour you want, as long as it's black (to paraphrase Henry Ford).

Santi is similar... several similar suits, with slight differences in the features and fabric making one more affordable than the next.

A lot of the variation in suit pricing results from the details. Anything that can be "bulk produced" is going to cost less. I think the Yukon is like that... a basic suit, with few frills, and available in any colour you want, as long as it's black (to paraphrase Henry Ford).

Santi is similar... several similar suits, with slight differences in the features and fabric making one more affordable than the next.

Yes.

Also think of it as walking into a department store and buying a suit off the rack. Versus going to a tailor and having you fully measured for a custom built suit.

Given equal materials are used, the custom suit should fit you better. The Yukon is an "off the rack" drysuit. The TLS is measured to fit.

We buy clothes off the rack all the time, a drysuit could be no different. Saving lots of money in the process.

We buy clothes off the rack all the time, a drysuit could be no different. Saving lots of money in the process.

Agreed. I'm not sure about DUI, but with Santi, even a stock suit is somewhat customizable. They will adjust the sleeve and leg lengths for no charge I believe. (On a stock suit that is ordered, as opposed to a suit hanging in a shop, ready to go.)

I'm fortunate to fit a stock size perfectly in SANTI, DUI and Viking suits... or close enough anyway.

I too am lucky as I fit perfectly into a DUI Medium short. It is nice that short sizes are offered.

I was originally interested in the Yukon but I was told to avoid it because the seams are glued not stitched thus me leaning toward a TLS350. To be totally honest with everyone this would be my first drysuit & I currently have less than 40 dives under my belt. I just want to be sure that I’m investing in something I will be happy with

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom