Calypso Dive Charters, Riviera Beach - Shark Dive July, 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blues Runner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Unique and memorable experience diving with Bull, Dusky and Silky sharks. I have done several shark dives but have never had the opportunity to dive with bull sharks. Our Shark Handler Lauren (Marine Biologist and shark conservationist) showed a great amount of respect and affection for the sharks. Her enthusiasm and excitement regarding sharks energizes you!

Calypso only takes six divers maximum per trip. This makes for a very intimate and safe experience. Diving was conducted from a 33 foot pilot house boat.

Convenient location if you are in Florida. Good opportunity to pair with a Blue Heron Bridge dive if the tide timing works out!

Calypso 7-20-2020 #1.jpg

Calypso 7-20-2020 #2.jpg

Calypso 7-20-2020 #3.jpg

Unique and memorable experience diving with Bull, Dusky and Silky sharks. I have done several shark dives but have never had the opportunity to dive with bull sharks. Our Shark Handler Lauren (Marine Biologist and shark conservationist) showed a great amount of respect and affection for the sharks. Her enthusiasm and excitement regarding sharks energizes you!

Calypso only takes six divers maximum per trip. This makes for a very intimate and safe experience. Diving was conducted from a 33 foot pilot house boat.

Convenient location if you are in Florida. Good opportunity to pair with a Blue Heron Bridge dive if the tide timing works out!

View attachment 602071
View attachment 602072
View attachment 602073
Great photos- Thanks for sharing!

Thnx for posting

Are there shark dives in southeast Florida where they don’t feed the sharks? The reason I have not done a shark dive here, is because I am not a fan of teaching predators to associate humans with an easy meal.

Are there shark dives in southeast Florida where they don’t feed the sharks? The reason I have not done a shark dive here, is because I am not a fan of teaching predators to associate humans with an easy meal.

Yes , check out Jupiter Dive center starting about mid January during lemon shark mating season. They go to lemon drop, no feeding and you will be surrounded by lemon sharks. I highly recommend it!!

Fine pic.s, and good to hear about an option for shark diving that area. Some species of shark one can find trips for that have a decent chance at sightings without baiting them in; sand tiger sharks out of North Carolina, lemon sharks out of Jupiter, FL during their migration, reef sharks in the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos, etc...

But some species, if you want good odds of seeing them, baiting/feeding will likely be a factor. Wonder what the odds are of fairly close encounters with bull, silkier or dusky sharks would be without it?

Fine pic.s, and good to hear about an option for shark diving that area. Some species of shark one can find trips for that have a decent chance at sightings without baiting them in; sand tiger sharks out of North Carolina, lemon sharks out of Jupiter, FL during their migration, reef sharks in the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos, etc...

But some species, if you want good odds of seeing them, baiting/feeding will likely be a factor. Wonder what the odds are of fairly close encounters with bull, silkier or dusky sharks would be without it?

drrich2,

I have never encountered a bull, silky or dusky while diving. I am sure the odds increase if you are spear fishing and keep your catch with you at depth. I have unintentionally caught and released several from my boat while bottom fishing. Amazing to actually be in the water with them.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom