Panic won’t let me dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is a very kind and generous offer from ChuckP! You have received some great advice here. A couple of comments:
The snorkeling at Hotel Cozumel is wonderful. Spend some time doing that and, hopefully, find your zen in the water.
We have found Arturo at BlueXTsea to be a very attentive and capable instructor. He helped a close friend with her anxiety in the water and she enjoyed a day of snorkeling, which she had never before accomplished.

Agree with some of what others have already stated. I would also suggest practicing the skills of the things you mentioned that led to panicking in a pool or at shallow depths (there's good diving at 20-25 feet) such as clearing your ears and removing and letting the reg (mouthpiece) float away and then recover it and put it back in your mouth - might do the same with your mask while you're at it, If your ears are giving you a problem that you can't overcome, that would be a bummer and I wouldn't push it.

Take @ChuckP up on his offer.

My godson won’t be able to go on boat. He’s not certified.

Why not have your godson do a Discover scuba course while you're there. That would give him something to do and may get him started on a new hobby.

Try to enjoy trip - from a person who is missing traveling and won't until there is a vaccine/cure.

Let me offer my thoughts as well...

once again was having issue with clearing my left ear. It just won’t pop like the right.
I have to smuggle original formula Sudafed when I travel to Cozumel, the kind that requires ID to purchase back home and is illegal in Mexico. There are exercises that help as well.

We are only down to 25 or 30 feet,
Too deep to equalize. Do it on the boat, at five feet, again at 10, and again at 15. Don't skip any. If you can't, float up a few feet.

I could hire divemaster as buddy too.
Money well spent, but not that one.

Firstly, ditch that dive centre! They have no right taking you to 80ft, let alone your uncertified godson.

Secondly, I'd find a centre that'll take you in the pool first to get your confidence back. Once you've practised removing, retrieving and replacing your regulator a dozen times, I'm sure you'll feel comfortable with it.
Yeah. Salty Endeavors is great, but there are many better than DP. And get some pool time.

My godson won’t be able to go on boat. He’s not certified.
He really should not be on your first dive trip, but since he is, coolit.

Do a shore dive with ChuckP. Gain some confidence and practice skills in a controlled environment with a place you can sit on the bottom at 10- 15'
Chuck and I hooked up and he’s looking at another dive shop as we speak to rent gear and take me out on shore dive. What a great community this is. Thank you for all of your advice. Rick

Also. Another diver gave me some Sudafed to take today.

That is great.

Try to relax, remember your training, remain calm and stay focused.

For your ears, find a DM or Chuck can probably teach you some of the other methods of equalizing.

And please give us feedback how your dive with chuck went :)

Glad you're hooking up with Chuck.

Also. Another diver gave me some Sudafed to take today.
If it's the real thing with pseudoephedrine, it'll help. It's also illegal in Mexico so be prudent. A small number of folks get hyper on it so I hope you don't. Equalize before you go in, at 5 feet, 10 feet, and 15 feet - no skipping.

For your ears, find a DM or Chuck can probably teach you some of the other methods of equalizing.
:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom