Panic won’t let me dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Equalize before you go in, at 5 feet, 10 feet, and 15 feet - no skipping.

:thumb:

Everyone is different; for me, every 5 feet during descent is not nearly often enough; when I am headed down I equalize every 1-2 seconds. If you wait until you feel the pressure, or worse yet any pain at all, then you're not doing it enough; the pressure differential can pinch off your Eustachian tubes and then you won't be able to equalize.

Everyone is different; for me, every 5 feet during descent is not nearly often enough; when I am headed down I equalize every 1-2 seconds. If you wait until you feel the pressure, or worse yet any pain at all, then you're not doing it enough; the pressure differential can pinch off your Eustachian tubes and then you won't be able to equalize.
Well what can I say? A dreary morning turned into a wonderful day. Chuck came over and we went to marine park and got set up with gear and we spent the morning shore diving. He helped gain my confidence back. Super nice guy and like you all, so helpful. How lucky am I today? The Sudafed helped too. I had no problem clearing right off the bat. Everything clicked today. Thanks again Chuck!

I'm so glad that Chuck helped you deal with those issues.

Do you have DAN dive insurance? It's virtually essential for diving. I'm leery of your godson doing any more Discover dives, but if he's going to dive certified or otherwise, he needs it too.

@ChuckP

You absolute legend! Literally materialise out of the interweb and save this fellas holiday.

Karma will be looking favourably on you for a while. Better buy a lottery ticket before she looses interest :thumb:.

He did very well - really good all considering I'm still so new at this. I think we have him hooked up with @Christi for a day of diving too, her guys will take great care of him.

You can't ever let the littlest of things take the wind out of your sails, a small amount of positive reinforcement will hopefully go a long way - that and some bigger fins LOL!!!

@ChuckP

You absolute legend! Literally materialise out of the interweb and save this fellas holiday.

Karma will be looking favourably on you for a while. Better buy a lottery ticket before she looses interest :thumb:.

This sums it up great-Literally materialise out of the interweb

I think Chuck was onsite within the hour- he is the Cozumel Batman of diving!

This sums it up great-Literally materialise out of the interweb

I think Chuck was onsite within the hour- he is the Cozumel Batman of diving!

Actually sitting here bored out of my gord eating my Lucky Charms and happened to see the post - I hope it helped a little and he goes on to dive many years with big chit eating grins on his face.

I LOVE HAPPY ENDINGS! Thanks to ChuckP, the OP now has a new Beginning!
Kudos to you ChuckP for just jumping in to help quite literally! What a fabulous story unfolded here today!!!!

Everyone is different; for me, every 5 feet during descent is not nearly often enough; when I am headed down I equalize every 1-2 seconds.
Yep, agreed, but then for myself, I'm dropping that fast or faster. I usually clear very easily. My old dive bud used to say "We'll watch Don drop like a rock while we clear," but I became a better dive buddy adopting stay-with-buddy at all phases including entrance and exit.

If you wait until you feel the pressure, or worse yet any pain at all, then you're not doing it enough; the pressure differential can pinch off your Eustachian tubes and then you won't be able to equalize.
True again, and sometimes I do get ahead of myself when not paired up, then have to ascend until I can clear.

Back
Top Bottom