Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks :) but in the Facebook group for descent owners we discussed this issue several times, so I am pretty sure someone in the group tried the normal HRM already. Unfortunately, we never solved the issue, and Garmin support says that their sensors are not conceived for working underwater at depth, so they can't help

I was just about to speculate on that very point. A HRM that works for swimming is only dealing with roughly 1 atmosphere of pressure. I would expect it to implode at some depth if you tried to scuba dive with it.

I was just about to speculate on that very point. A HRM that works for swimming is only dealing with roughly 1 atmosphere of pressure. I would expect it to implode at some depth if you tried to scuba dive with it.

They are waterproof to 5atm, so they don't implode... but they don't work

Garmin HRM use ANT+ so does Polar.
Basically half the devices that share info with smart watches and computers are using ANT+ (speed sensors, HRM sensors, cadence, etc). Its an industry standard. Not sure what you mean by "garmin would have then have to start selling own branded radio hrms" when they already do. I posted two above, and my Edge for my bike came with one too.

Also I don't believe either the HRM-Swim or HRM-Tri during a swim transmits data, it saves it and uploads it after the activity. Which makes sense.

What is ANT+ - THIS IS ANT

ANT+ and Bluetooth will have the same range underwater since they roughly use the same frequency.

is there any speculation about the possibility to record heart-rate underwater with a belt heart-rate monitor?
The Mk1 has an optical heart rate monitor so if you are able to wear it on your bare wrist during a dive it will record and display your heart rate in real time.

The Mk1 has an optical heart rate monitor so if you are able to wear it on your bare wrist during a dive it will record and display your heart rate in real time.

Sure, but when diving cold water in dry suit (as me most of the time) this option is out

Does the Garmin descent record sleep and steps? I know it records heart rate...

The activity tracking feature records your daily step count, distance traveled, intensity minutes, floors climbed, calories burned, and sleep statistics for each recorded day. Your calories burned includes your base metabolism plus activity calories. The number of steps taken during the day appears on the steps widget.
Garmin MK1 activity tracking

Yes.
The Descent Mk1 is a Fenix 5X with dive/apnea functions. The Mk2 is a Fenix 6x with dive/apnea and hopefully AI.

I've been told differently by numerous owners and Garmin folks that the Fenix's guts (seals specifically the buttons - aren't the same as the MK1- or soon to be 2s) are different ...That's why the Fenix isn't rated for diving (but is rated for depth). The Garmin guys I;ve talked to swear that there is a physical engineering difference in the models and it's more than just the dive software that separates the MK and Fenix. Could be a corporate party-line too... I know a few Fenix owners that sideloaded Dive IQ and say they haven't had a problem. Not sure I would want to test that theory to save a couple hundo :wink:

If you look at the back of the Fenix 5x you will discover it is nothing like the Descent mk1. Now look at the back of the Fenix 3HR. It's a match to the Descent!

If you look at the back of the Fenix 5x you will discover it is nothing like the Descent mk1. Now look at the back of the Fenix 3HR. It's a match to the Descent!
So how does looking at the back tell you want is inside?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom