Jacket bcd to wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Find somebody (multiple if available) to dive with who uses a BP/wing, preferably somebody who has used one for a while. A lot of people purchase the equipment on the internet without really touching the product. If you decide on a Hogarthian harness you will need help in adjusting the straps, d-rings, and crotch strap. Will you need a weight pouch pockets or a weight belt? Do you need an STA? I am presently diving the same backplate and single wing since 2000. I have only replaced the harness and the backplate pad once because of wear and tear using twin tanks and chlorine in the swimming pool when teaching.

This link will help explain some of the reasons its good to switch to a BP/W and also why a particular configuration of that BP/W works best overall.

I recommend staying away from the complex harnesses that have lots of clips, adjustment systems, etc. They look cool, but they are actually not any more functional than simple one-piece webbing systems. They are much more difficult to set up or adjust and end up not being any more comfortable. Oh, and they're a lot more expensive.

I will offer a dissenting opinion on @RyanT's (who I agree with 99% of the time) post above. While the one piece harness works great for many divers, it is not best for everyone. I do not know about the looking cool part of a comfort/quick release/adjustable harness, but my HOG Deluxe Flex Techrecreational harness is a godsend for me. Perhaps it is because I have some mobility/range of motion issues on both shoulders; do not always dive with the same thermal protection set up; and I also have integrated weight pockets and utility pouch on the waist strap, I find it significantly easier to don/doff/adjust my harness than a one piece harness. I highly recommend diving with a harness you are considering, and if that is not possible, at least try it on with a full tank and anything else you plan to carry on the harness.

Don't listen to @Altamira, he's just out to cause trouble here! :wink:. In my experience, trying to adjust the "deluxe" harnesses always entailed a lot of moving parts. The one piece webbing design is way simpler. BUT, the reality is that we all have our own fit and preferences. I absolutely agree with @Altamira that if you get the opportunity to try a rig out, that's always the way to go.

Deluxe Harness - There are criteria where they can be beneficial, but it is not a universal solution, or need for all....

Unless you buy used, the HOG bp/w is one of the best priced systems and works as good as any. The deluxe harness is a preference thing, but so is backplate material and size of wing. so make it how you want, then as you play with it you’ll find things you want to change. The beauty of a modular system is that its easy to swap things out. Don’t like the soft backplate and want to try a steel one? Sell the soft to a friend and buy a steel plate. Want a bigger wing? Swap it out. Think deluxe harness has to many parts? You guessed it, you can change that too!

Thanks< I will look at the other options and check out a few more dive stores. The Poseidon One didn't fit me well.(very big on me) The salesman at the dive store was trying to get rid of it with enticing discounts. I'm glad I walked away to do some thinking about different options. The dive rite lite fit really well and light but is there a disadvantage because its a travel wing?

Travel wings are low volume and therefore not good for cold water. If you dive thin thermal protection and very little lead then a small wing is fine.

Thanks< I will look at the other options and check out a few more dive stores. The Poseidon One didn't fit me well.(very big on me) The salesman at the dive store was trying to get rid of it with enticing discounts. I'm glad I walked away to do some thinking about different options. The dive rite lite fit really well and light but is there a disadvantage because its a travel wing?

Whatever you buy, make sure you are comparing comparable bcds/bp/w, and fully understand what is being minimized if you buy a travel bcd. For example, the Dive Rite Lite which apparently fits you well has two tank bands, but the lower one is a hook and loop (basically a strap that fastens with velcro) rather than the normal cam band that has a SS or plastic locking mechanism. Also, I do not know if the Dive Rite Lite wing has stabilizer bars to help keep the tank in position. Before I bought the HOG bp/w, I was diving a Zeagle Covert, which is great travel bc (@4 pounds, integrated weight pockets and 32# bladder). However it also had a hook and loop lower cam band, which I swapped out for a standard cam band; all plastic D rings; did not have stabilizer bars on the back of the bladder/wing to keep the tank from rolling; and did not have enough D rings and positioned where I wanted them. Every bcd is going to have trade offs, and the great advantage of the bp/w is being able to configure it exactly as you like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom