Should I dive in shallow waters without a certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tyler najib

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello folks, I have a passion but don’t have the money to pay for PADI or ssi. I have scuba dived twice and the second time a PADI instructor showed me just about everything in a try scuba class, equalizing hand singles, pretty much a lot of things and even gave me a handbook. And it’s my second time diving and I have looked at online classes for scuba diving and spend almost till 3 am studying scuba and practiced it in my pool and to be honest I do not want to dive down 100 feet i feel comfortable doing it but I like staying in 10 feet water looking for treasure. I am thinking about picking up a used Zeagle ranger bcd. Love those things. But anyways I have been in my pool 2-4 times a day practicing these techniques that they show on the two hour video like clearing water out of the mask. Honestly I’d love to do it but don’t have the money for the class. I’m not sure it’s the best idea but im slowly saving money up for a PADI certification class. Let me know what your guys thoughts are!

True. I have a compressor but idk maybe I should just buy the gear and then save up for the class then start diving.

I’m not the best at holding my breath for a long period of time maybe I should get into it though wouldn’t be bad

With enough work and patience, you could certainly become a proficient diver without a formal certification. Recreational certification didn't even exist until for the first couple of decades after Cousteau started selling gear.

But it's still a bad idea. For one thing, even if you get a manual and go through every exercise, how do you know you are doing it correctly? There's a bunch of potential gotchas that an instructor will spot that you don't know enough to even recognize.

For another, solo diving adds another large bunch of hazards that are not covered in readily available manuals. It's only appropriate for divers with a great deal of experience, specialized training and additional gear.

The same goes for any kind of "treasure diving."

Bad idea. You don't know what you don't know, and you are likely ingraining some bad technique.

There are a few things a scuba class gives you. The first is the theoretical knowledge on basic physiology, the aquatic environment, scuba gear and a few other topics. A good book can teach those.

You can watch videos showcasing techniques on equalisation, buoyancy control or kicks.

You cannot be certain you are executing the techniques properly without adequate supervision. You cannot be certain you have not let important gaps on your knowledge base without being questioned. You cannot be certain you know how to deal with problems that may arise without being tested.

Trying to collect information on your own and apply it to a risky activity is a bad idea. Additionally, you will be in a hard position to convince anyone to provide services (gas fillings, boat rides, gear rental etc.) or get someone to dive with you without proof of certification.

A basic course class is not that expensive, specially considering the price, over time, of gear, boat rides, gas fills and dive trips.

True. I have a compressor but idk maybe I should just buy the gear and then save up for the class then start diving.

Glad to hear you’ll be taking the course. Also I don’t know what type of air compressor you have, but know that bad air or carbon monoxide getting in your tank will kill you. Be careful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom