Sea of Cortez liveaboard in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back from trip on Rocio del Mar (last week). No trouble getting across the border, just remember to take a copy of your trip confirmation. The first couple of days the water temp was 75-78. Once we got further south, things warmed up to 84 with a few thermoclines being much cooler. I was really happy in my 5mm, but I tend to get cold. Layers are the way to go. I also had a Lavacor rash guard and hood, thermal socks, and vest. Viz wasn't great, but crew said it was normal. Tons of krill and other plankton in the water. Crew was great and the food was wonderful and plentiful! We will go back to the Rocio del Mar for Socorro in the next few years.

I'll be on the Rocio Del Mar the week of Aug 15th so, I was happy to see this post.
I think I'll be taking my 5 MM since like ddavin I get cold easily too!
Your trip will be about a month after mine so the temps may be different but aside from 2 days of 80 degree dives, I wish I had brought my 7mm or at least my Lavacore suit.
My warmest layer was a sharkskin long sleeve top, hood and leggings. Most day’s, dives were low to mid 70s. A bit cold for me.
Oh and for the whale shark swim, I’d recommend a dive skin. I wore a rash guard and leggings and since the water flowed freely over my torso, I got a lot of pica pica/sea lice bites.
It looked like I had the chicken pox.

Great info you two! Thanks so much!

ddavin.... Where and when do I get my trip confirmation? Will the Rocio Del Mar folks give it to me?
I haven't gotten one yet.
Thermal socks? I've not heard of those! I want some. I'm going to have to check into that! But if they are think I might then have to bet bigger booties!

GirlonFire... good to know about those temps and the deal with the whale shark swim!
Since I'm flying Southwest I can take 2 bags for free so...I think I'm going to take 2 suitcases and take both my 5 MM and my 3 MM - I'm also going to take a rash guard and leggings!
Low to mid 70's? I think I'd want a 7 MM for those temps too!

Land border is closed. But flights from the US are allowed.
This! The shut down is land border.

@horn34 said "There are only a few crossing spots on the US/MX border where people are actually being turned back."

Risk your vacation on how a Mex immigration official feels?

@horn34 said "There are only a few crossing spots on the US/MX border where people are actually being turned back."

I can’t speak for all the land crossings but from Phoenix to Puerto Peñasco we were let in. We all had our Liveaboard confirmations (did not show) and maybe the shuttle had a permit? Can’t say for sure but we entered Mexico.

@SaltyKSue you should get a copy of your confirmation. I got mine less than a week before embarkation. Did you book direct or with a travel agent?

Your trip will be about a month after mine so the temps may be different but aside from 2 days of 80 degree dives, I wish I had brought my 7mm or at least my Lavacore suit.
My warmest layer was a sharkskin long sleeve top, hood and leggings. Most day’s, dives were low to mid 70s. A bit cold for me.
Oh and for the whale shark swim, I’d recommend a dive skin. I wore a rash guard and leggings and since the water flowed freely over my torso, I got a lot of pica pica/sea lice bites.
It looked like I had the chicken pox.
I agree with the dive skin for the Whale Shark swim.
Great info you two! Thanks so much!

ddavin.... Where and when do I get my trip confirmation? Will the Rocio Del Mar folks give it to me?
I haven't gotten one yet.
Thermal socks? I've not heard of those! I want some. I'm going to have to check into that! But if they are think I might then have to bet bigger booties!

GirlonFire... good to know about those temps and the deal with the whale shark swim!
Since I'm flying Southwest I can take 2 bags for free so...I think I'm going to take 2 suitcases and take both my 5 MM and my 3 MM - I'm also going to take a rash guard and leggings!
Low to mid 70's? I think I'd want a 7 MM for those temps too!
We got our confirmation via email just a few days before we left (we booked through Bluewater Travel not straight with the boat owners. As for thermal socks I looked online and finally decided on the BARE Exotherm socks (I also have the gloves) and they were a god send! They are pretty thin, so I didn't have any trouble with my booties. I have found if I have warm feet and fingers I can stand colder water. Also my Lavacore hood was enough and it doesn't choke me like neoprene ones do. I also checked my dive log and 75 was the coldest water temp we had. The further south we were, we got water temps between 81 and 84. Was glad I took both my 3 and 5 mm wetsuits. Layering is the way to go! Hope you have a fantastic trip. Can't wait to see your trip report!

We really had no trouble last week. I think being on a shuttle (Head out to Rocky Point) helped, but honestly, while we waited in line at Customs and Immigration, we saw a good many cars drive right through.

Nope, I didn't. I read and post on the super helpful On The Road in Mexico facebook group page, continually checking border crossing reports. I had no problem crossing at Colombia Bridge, just like thousands of other Americans/Canadians.

Smart travelers research those things first.

Nope, I didn't. I read and post on the super helpful On The Road in Mexico facebook group page, continually checking border crossing reports. I had no problem crossing at Colombia Bridge, just like thousands of other Americans/Canadians.

Smart travelers research those things first.

It's good you were allowed through. Doesn't change the fact that Mexico and the US have extended the border closure and you could have just as easily been refused entry. Maybe it depends on the Officials at the port....like with the camera housing taxes being levied at Baja ports but not others?

Back
Top Bottom