Should I dive in shallow waters without a certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah Im a mechanic I have a lot of tools at my house and work has been slowing down. But I heard that an air compressors like mine can be bad for scuba. My local dive shop want 500 dollars for PADI and I want to go for PADI beings I’m wanting to be a navy seal. Right now I’m in the process of buying scuba gear and then buying the class because they charge a lot of money to rent their gear and I figured that buying a used zeagle ranger for 120 dollars wouldn’t be bad. In my opinion It would be smarter because I can learn my gear and know my setup rather than renting one and not knowing exactly where things are. But after scuba gear I’m going to save up for the class.

This is called putting the cart before the horse.

If you’re wanting to be a medically viable enlistee (assuming you’re serious about joining the Navy)...maybe don’t do this.

"Open Water" is the full course, unless I'm misunderstanding your post.

Look, there are a lot of crazy people on this website who do a lot of crazy things to dive cheaper and deeper while cutting any possible corners, middle men, and extra steps. They're all telling you to take the darn class!

The class teaches you things you wouldn't pick up otherwise. It is possible to teach yourself to dive, but very hard to teach yourself to dive PROPERLY and SAFELY. There are a lot of things you don't know you need to know. A lot of bad habits you can form without an instructor catching them early. Maybe you could get away without taking a class if you had an experienced mentor willing to help you, but they would probably just tell you to take the class anyway. The class is generally pretty easy and fun. Buying gear, getting on dive boats, getting air fills, getting gear serviced, or doing any further training down the line will be very difficult without the certification card. Nice thing to throw on a resume too.

Regarding gear: you certainly could buy your own gear to use for the class and avoid the rental fees, that's sensible. Counterpoint would be that you will learn a lot about what you actually want/need in gear from your class experience and instructor. Everyone has some equipment they regret buying early on. For example, I wish I bought a backplate+wing instead of an expensive jacket BCD similar to the one you want. If you plan to dive frequently and locally you're right that it's smart to buy a full set of gear sooner rather than spend money on rentals. Just do a lot of research first. Look at what experienced divers in your area are using, get their advice on equipment choices. Preferably people who aren't actively trying to sell you things. Local dive clubs would be the place to start.

Regarding the compressor: shop air compressors run something like 250 psi. Most SCUBA tanks use 2400-3500 psi. 250psi in a scuba tank is basically empty. SCUBA compressors have elaborate filters to dry and purify the air. SCUBA air must be extremely pure to be safe for you and your gear. Any contamination in the tank (like oil from the compressor or water from condensation) can be a huge problem. Compressors can pump Carbon Monoxide into the tank either by sucking in vehicle/furnace exhaust in the atmosphere, or by producing it internally when an overheated piston burns small amounts of oil. Breathing a tiny fraction of vaporized oil or carbon monoxide at sea level is survivable, but when you're breathing it underwater at pressure you're actually breathing A MUCH HIGHER CONCENTRATION of the contamination per breath due to the ambient pressure. Not to mention how it will harm your equipment (eg. oil degrading seals, moisture rusting tanks from the inside). Similarly, a headache/blurred vision or even passing out from contaminated air on land is survivable, underwater it often means SWIFT DEATH.

If you do insist on ignoring all of the people telling you to take the class, at least learn to never hold your breath (especially while ascending) so you don't overexpand your lungs and die. Pulmonary embolism can happen in surprisingly shallow water.

I hope I did an okay job explaining WHY people are telling you "no" so emphatically.

thank you for your reply, I will take the class and to be honest when I had the jacket bcd i didn’t like how it squeezed me when I inflate it. That’s why I was kinda going for the zeagle ranger. But yes open water is the full class. Sorry for that mistake. Although I still am going to buy the gear early on I will be more cautious and get some people’s advice and I kinda thought that for an example if I wanted to switch out a regulator for a better one it would be something that I could do one by one. Thank you for your help!

This is called putting the cart before the horse.

If you’re wanting to be a medically viable enlistee (assuming you’re serious about joining the Navy)...maybe don’t do this.

yeah I am going to get a padi cert before I go scuba diving. I didn’t really see the dangers until everyone told me them

thank you for your reply, I will take the class and to be honest when I had the jacket bcd i didn’t like how it squeezed me when I inflate it. That’s why I was kinda going for the zeagle ranger. But yes open water is the full class. Sorry for that mistake. Although I still am going to buy the gear early on I will be more cautious and get some people’s advice and I kinda thought that for an example if I wanted to switch out a regulator for a better one it would be something that I could do one by one. Thank you for your help!

The Ranger is a good BCD. Worth considering a backplate+wing if you're going for back inflate anyway. Either one will serve you well, there is no right or wrong answer there.

You can upgrade as you go. Or "buy once cry once" if you're positive something is right for you. This stuff lasts a long time with proper maintenance. Go for quality and simplicity not fancy marketing and gimmicks. Look at the simple gear that tech and cave divers use compared to tropical resort divers decked out with gimmicky features. This board is a great resource for research in addition to your local community. Get a variety of opinions. Try to buy from local dive shops whenever possible. We need to keep them in business or we'll lose our air fill stations!

Unfortunately SCUBA is an expensive hobby. Visiting the underwater world is an absolutely incredible privilege worth every penny, but it's hard to get around it being a money pit. Our planet would be a better place if more people, especially young people, could afford to dive and witness what's hidden under the surface.

Hi Tyler,

I'll do you a solid as a former Navy man. You complete and earn your contract to BUD/s, SWCC, or Diver school and can prove it by having your recruiter contact me; I'll do your PADI OW Diver course for the cost of E-learning, Rental Equipment, and Quarry entry fees here in Illinois.

Please pM me for info.

Yeah Im a mechanic I have a lot of tools at my house and work has been slowing down. But I heard that an air compressors like mine can be bad for scuba. My local dive shop want 500 dollars for PADI and I want to go for PADI beings I’m wanting to be a navy seal. Right now I’m in the process of buying scuba gear and then buying the class because they charge a lot of money to rent their gear and I figured that buying a used zeagle ranger for 120 dollars wouldn’t be bad. In my opinion It would be smarter because I can learn my gear and know my setup rather than renting one and not knowing exactly where things are. But after scuba gear I’m going to save up for the class.

There is nothing about the Navy SEALs that requires SCUBA training or certification prior to joining the Navy and going to basic underwater demolition school.

If you want to be a SEAL then your time is better spent getting in the best shape you possibly can get into before heading to great lakes (boot camp), or newport (ocs). Look up ways to increase mental resilience and work on it as that is probably the most important thing youu can do for yourself with regards to prepping for the experience that awaits.

If you want to know more about the Navy send me a PM and we can set up a time to chat on zoom or messenger. If you want to know more about the SEALs, I have some colleagues and associates that I can ask to connect with you.

-Z

Hi Tyler,

I'll do you a solid as a former Navy man. You complete and earn your contract to BUD/s, SWCC, or Diver school and can prove it by having your recruiter contact me; I'll do your PADI OW Diver course for the cost of E-learning, Rental Equipment, and Quarry entry fees here in Illinois.

Please pM me for info.

You should make it conditional on taking swcc out of his user name as well.

OP, SWCC and SEAL are two different qualifications...choose one, focus on it, and make it happen....but dont confuse them and you won't win points by even remotely suggesting that you are something you are not or are not yet.

Having SWCC in your user name does not come across cool to us Navy folk, especially when you stated you want to be a SEAL...it makes you come across confused.

-Z

Hi Tyler,

Please pM me for info.

Thanks I’ll get back to you!

There is nothing about the Navy SEALs that requires SCUBA training or certification prior to joining the Navy and going to basic underwater demolition school.

If you want to be a SEAL then your time is better spent getting in the best shape you possibly can get into before heading to great lakes (boot camp), or newport (ocs). Look up ways to increase mental resilience and work on it as that is probably the most important thing youu can do for yourself with regards to prepping for the experience that awaits.

If you want to know more about the Navy send me a PM and we can set up a time to chat on zoom or messenger. If you want to know more about the SEALs, I have some colleagues and associates that I can ask to connect with you.

-Z
Alright thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom