Another free vintage tank, what is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have one that i use for scr diving (easier to blend up to 59%- 70%) as its 1800 psi shimed to accept a dreager valve

absolutely amazing that there is a vis sticker on it. with a thread adaptor to boot.

absolutely amazing that there is a vis sticker on it. with a thread adaptor to boot.

When you do the visual inspection (per DOT codes) you are required to remove the adapter and inspect the threads. Then you put it all back together.

Yes, I know, most dive shops don't really know how to do a proper VIP.

What should I do with it?
make a bell, or is it worth hydroing?

I have an 1800 PSI cylinder from the early 1970s that was manufactured as a dive cylinder (yellow paint, 3/4" npsm threads). It's floaty and low capacity and therefore not much use for diving.

I use it for shop air. It's lighter than an LP72.

I just sent off the tank to James. He’s going to make use out of it.
BTW, I took off the valve and the inside of the tank looked pristine.
It costed three times more just to ship it than the tank probably costed new. 25 lbs. with valve.
My how times have changed.

I am sure James will make good use of it as a pressure vessel.

When you do the visual inspection (per DOT codes) you are required to remove the adapter and inspect the threads. Then you put it all back together.

Yes, I know, most dive shops don't really know how to do a proper VIP.

Just for clarification on this. You are saying that an adaptor to convert a non scuba tank for scuba use is legit????

I wonder what PSI folks would say about a rig like this?

Just for clarification on this. You are saying that an adaptor to convert a non scuba tank for scuba use is legit????

I wonder what PSI folks would say about a rig like this?
Probably to install it within spec, and make sure it doesn't leak. Bushings in high pressure applications are pretty common outside of scuba. The 1800 psi 38 I just put in service for my son is a bushing tank and just passed vis at the LDS. I had to assemble it, because they hadn't dealt with bushing before, but no big deal.
Respectfully,
James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom