Should I buy a scuba tank or save up more to buy open water course PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tyler najib

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello folks so I bought a regulator set ( dive computer, bcd quick connect hose, two regulators) and a bcd along with fins, mask, and a snorkel. A scuba tank would complete the setup. But I also need to save for open water class. I figured that if I buy the scuba tank I would need to save for the open water class and by the time I get the money from working on my bosses farm I would be starting school. Which I guess it’s not a big deal but a rule I learned that I like to apply to my life is getting everything done so you don’t have to think about it doing an important job that requires focusing. So I’m honestly not sure. Let me know :)

Hello folks so I bought a regulator set ( dive computer, bcd quick connect hose, two regulators) and a bcd along with fins, mask, and a snorkel. A scuba tank would complete the setup. But I also need to save for open water class. I figured that if I buy the scuba tank I would need to save for the open water class and by the time I get the money from working on my bosses farm I would be starting school. Which I guess it’s not a big deal but a rule I learned that I like to apply to my life is getting everything done so you don’t have to think about it doing an important job that requires focusing. So I’m honestly not sure. Let me know :)

also it’s like 200$ to rent their gear that’s why I’d like my own

After taking a class, you might learn that you want different gear than what you have bought. I guarantee you will want different gear after a year or two of diving. We all did the same thing.

After taking a class, you might learn that you want different gear than what you have bought. I guarantee you will want different gear after a year or two of diving. We all did the same thing.

Yeah I noticed that I honestly didn’t like the jacket bcd because of the way it squeezes me. I’m sure I’ll switch out bcds, regulators. Thanks!

Unfortunately you’ve found the dark side of this sport. Your local dive shop (LDS) is squeezed by on line seller's and pushes gear to help make their monthly "nut". Rent the tank, spend your money on more dives. We all have gear purchases we would like a do-over on, but that ok those purchases are a sunk cost. Dive and let dive

How close is your nearest shop? How close is the nearest dive site? How often do you plan to dive?

DW

I figured that if I buy the scuba tank I would need to save for the open water class and by the time I get the money from working on my bosses farm I would be starting school.
I don't know how you got your basic gear or what it is. Did you buy from a private sale or from your LDS? (Local Dive Shop)

There is much help (and understanding) here for new divers, so you may want to let us know exactly what you now own. The good news is that almost anything (that is now sold commercially) is diveable.

I agree, take a pass on the tank for now...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom