Dry Suit Inflation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rvojr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any experience with the DGX or Dive Rite dry suit inflator regulators? Are they lower flow in case of a runaway inflator? Does anyone use a spare of something similar to what they use as breathing regs in my case a D6 scribble for maintenance ease. Are there any rule of thumb for how to size a dry suit inflation cylinder for 2 dives up to 130'? DGX has 6,8 and 13 cf tanks. I was leaning towards the 8 or 13 so I wouldn't have to worry about being inefficient inflating my suit while I'm still learning. Any advice, even if tangential, is appreciated.

I have a din drysuit inflation regulator, don’t recall the brand, it just sits on the shelf because I just use back gas for inflation. I can make you a great deal on the one I have or you can just buy a hose.

If you get a run away inflation just disconnect the hose.

If you service your gear, including your dry suit inflation valve, you shouldn't have a problem. "Shouldn't" is italicized as it is a dangerous word.

The DGX one is kind of massive for its purpose. The old Oxycheq-branded or Higland ones would be my recommendation. SP MK2+ another option. If you’re not on mix, don’t bother with the hassle of an air bottle. AL6 will be adequate for any single open water dive, and more than likely 2 to your intended depth. AL8 nice if you’re transfilling it because of the lower working pressure. It’s also significantly less negative. If you’re asking the question, an AL13 is likely overkill for a while. What’s your plan for mounting?

Tank size depends on the dives your making and how much you hammer the inflator. I can make 2 tech dives off an al6. I add gas as needed but don't overinflated or use my suit for bouyancy control. I've seen some folks for whom an al6 is barely enough for a single dive.

I also prefer the older smaller generic argon regs that most folks rebranded as their own. Argon Inflation Regulator
Not too hard to find them used. Pretty reliable, inexpensive and easy to rebuild,

I was going to mount it to the left side on the back plate using the tank strap and bungee using either the Halcyon or Dive Rite mount.

I was going to mount it to the left side on the back plate using the tank strap and bungee using either the Halcyon or Dive Rite mount.
Are you currently diving mix? It's not worth adding another bottle/hose/tank to fill/vip/hydro/reg to maintain unless you are.

Are you currently diving mix? It's not worth adding another bottle/hose/tank to fill/vip/hydro/reg to maintain unless you are.
I'm not going to add on until I'm required to add it for training requirements. I'm trying to learn about it, and many people on here have great ideas which save a lot of trial and error.

If you get a run away inflation just disconnect the hose.

You wont be able to in a timely manner and if its really cold the whip will freeze onto the nipple completely preventing its removal. Shut off the inflation bottle while venting as much as you can, then figure out how to disconnect it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom