Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thks

Appreciate the feedback, yup that's pretty much what I was thinking, with reduction of the 20% VAT I think it should come out around USD550 + duty + shipping which seems a steal:
. ultra all black
. inflation valve comfort patch
. compressed neoprene socks
. braces
. no logos
. bag upgrade/change mat
If I was doing it again, I’d go with a trilobyte on the opposite arm I use my computer on (I use computer right arm, so I’d get it on my left). Also, I would get the rear zip cover, just because it looks cleaner (in some pictures I can see my zipper pull flapping about).

I think you’ll be really happy with it!

you can close and open the back zip with your spool and the double ender.
I'd love to read more details or photos or video of how you do it please.

I'd love to read more details or photos or video of how you do it please.
Well I am 10 days away from my back zipper DS but let me try to describe...
I had a few different back zip DS and for all of them, I needed.someone to help me for about the first 10 dives, may be to break a bit the whole fabric.
After that, with a waxed zip, it works fine.
Some of the DS, I could even close them with only my hands some not as the placement of the zip may be a bit different (I haven't really "investigated" that:)).
With the hands and if the zip is placed for "hands opening" if you can close your valves on a manifold, it should be ok. Indeed, the trick is to have your elbows next to your face when you look for the zip. Then, step by step, holding the left side with the left hand and pulling the zip with the right, you can slowly close it. It takes a bit of time and practice but if the zip is waxed (have I mentioned that already :)), it is doable. The trick: be patient:).
The easiest way is with a short piece of rope or with your spool (we dive with a spool anyway so no need to make a special rope just for that; lets be dir:)).
Just attach one side of the spool to a tree, a solid part of your car (don't put the spool inside the car and close the door on the line thinking the line won't slide... it will:(), clip one side of the double ender to the zip and with a gracious move following the curve of your back, pivot your body to let the zip close. The line should not be too long otherwise you loose control in one of the dimensions.
With both methods, the trickest parts are, first, to engage the zip, then not to trap fabric from the under or the suspender when you reach the left shoulder, not to trap the zip itself with its inner flat when you cross across your back and finaly, to make sure it reaches the end properly.
At each steps, it is good to put your fingers.to feel the position of the different parts.
Of course, never force if it becomes stucked, just go back, check with fingers and move again.
Personaly, I remove the suspenders as they are the one giving most of the troubles because, even if they are tight, they move too freely and will stuck somewhere.
Wow, I would never have imagined I would have to explain how I zip myself.
Guys you have no shame on forcing me down that path:):):)

Anything like this? getting into the suit at 1:00
[edit] this suit has a plastic zip, the ultra has a metal zip so ease of zipping is somewhat different

I definitely need to do a lot more waxing on my zipper. It seems about 10 times harder to pull compared to the zipper on Bruce's suit in that video.

I definitely need to do a lot more waxing on my zipper. It seems about 10 times harder to pull compared to the zipper on Bruce's suit in that video.
He uses plastic, his suit also has a lot of extra room, my back zip Seaskin is hard to zip for my buddy, impossible for me.

He uses plastic, his suit also has a lot of extra room, my back zip Seaskin is hard to zip for my buddy, impossible for me.

Good to know. I just assumed he had metal. I wish Seaskin would have at least offered a plastic zip as an option (since they won't do front zip). I would have gotten that, to make it easier to open/close.

Good to know. I just assumed he had metal. I wish Seaskin would have at least offered a plastic zip as an option (since they won't do front zip). I would have gotten that, to make it easier to open/close.
My ultra, made to the same size specs as the nova, is more snug they would have to make it a lot more loose for the plastic I bet just to keep excess pressure off of the zip. They really do need to go for a front zip option, like the pinnacle black ice.

My ultra, made to the same size specs as the nova, is more snug they would have to make it a lot more loose for the plastic I bet just to keep excess pressure off of the zip. They really do need to go for a front zip option, like the pinnacle black ice.

Yeah, and the Bare XCS2. And there's probably more. A front zip on a compressed neo suit totally CAN work.

Good point on why the back zip needs to be metal. I didn't think of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom