Should I buy a scuba tank or save up more to buy open water course PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure if buy a tank period. If you are going to be flying to diving locations, them you have the hassle of emptying tank, transporting on plane and hoping nothing happens to it, them taking it to a local dive shop at your destination to have it filled. Just renting the tank by itself will not be that expensive. Plus, most dive boat packages include tanks as part of them.

But, if you are going to be shoredshore a lot near your home, owning might make sense.

Regardless, take the course first. You will not even be able to fill the tanks without cert card

After taking a class, you might learn that you want different gear than what you have bought. I guarantee you will want different gear after a year or two of diving. We all did the same thing.

^^^ this

I usually recommend taking OW then trying different gear then buying what you like.

After OW classes depend on what you want to do. For example most charters up here on a lot of sites won't let you on without AOW so if its the same do AOW if not just practice in the water so your comfortable and in control.

Hello folks so I bought a regulator set ( dive computer, bcd quick connect hose, two regulators) and a bcd along with fins, mask, and a snorkel. A scuba tank would complete the setup. But I also need to save for open water class. I figured that if I buy the scuba tank I would need to save for the open water class and by the time I get the money from working on my bosses farm I would be starting school. Which I guess it’s not a big deal but a rule I learned that I like to apply to my life is getting everything done so you don’t have to think about it doing an important job that requires focusing. So I’m honestly not sure. Let me know
C:\Users\Edward\AppData\Local\Temp\~tmw0\1ef838f2.tmp\img00001.PNG

Unless your diving privately, most operators will hire tanks. when on holiday (sorry vacation to those across the pond) tanks and weights come as part of the package.

An indication of compressor costs (In UK£):
* Purchase £2,300, depreciation over 7 years = £330
* Annual Service £150
* Fuel £0.67 per cylinder (0.52Lt) x 62 = £32.25
Cost to date this year £512.25

When I put this against driving 50 mile round trip to my nearest fill station which would have cost me £125, plus £280 fill costs, giving £405 so far this year. By year’s end I will have filled another 50 cylinders (+£325) putting me ahead. But even if it didn’t the convenience of having a compressor is worth it - I often take it to site and refill cylinders between dives.

Hello folks so I bought a regulator set ( dive computer, bcd quick connect hose, two regulators) and a bcd along with fins, mask, and a snorkel. A scuba tank would complete the setup. But I also need to save for open water class. I figured that if I buy the scuba tank I would need to save for the open water class and by the time I get the money from working on my bosses farm I would be starting school. Which I guess it’s not a big deal but a rule I learned that I like to apply to my life is getting everything done so you don’t have to think about it doing an important job that requires focusing. So I’m honestly not sure. Let me know :)
I think most people here would have recommended that you not even buy what you have already until after you took the class. Somebody already mentioned that you'll probably find that you don't like any of the stuff you bought after a few dives, or you may find during the class that you just don't like diving or have an ear condition that makes it impossible for you to continue.

I bought a dive computer right after my OW class, and fins for the class. I already owned a mask and snorkel that I had used snorkeling in the USVI and Bahamas, but quickly realized I hated both of those and upgraded right after class. I upgraded my fin straps several years later after telling myself when I bought the fins that I didn't like the fancy straps they were trying to upsell me and wanted to save the money - I own bungee straps now because the clip ones suck. I spent my first five years after certification renting regs and BCs. That gave me a chance to try out different styles and brands and determine that I didn't like the way jackets fit. I now own my own set of Deep 6 regs and two BCs - a BP/W that I use for all my rec diving and a back-inflate Zeagle Stiletto, which I love, but use pretty much exclusively for teaching because it is similar to the jackets we rent to students.

I still don't own a tank and I doubt I ever will. I don't have to pay for rentals and I live 7 minutes from my shop, but it's still only $15 to rent a tank, with air, for a day. Air fills are $10, so you are only saving $5 by owning that tank. You don't get much by way of convenience because you still have to go to the shop to get it filled. Between Vis and Hydro testing, you're going to be spending a lot of money on that tank, and you'll only be able to use it for local dives since you won't want to fly with it and tanks are included in just about any dive package anywhere in the world anyway. Unlike a BC and regs, once it's on your back, a rental or personally owned tank pretty much feels the same, so there's no personal comfort and familiarity factor with it.

Just some food for thought on tank ownership... An honest assessment of how much you'll use is needed followed by math. Around here, the price difference between a fill and a tank rental is about $2. Visual inspection (annual requirement for the tank) is between $15 and $25 depending on shop. Hydrostatic test (every 5 years) is $40 to $50.
So on the low end, cost of ownership (exclusive of purchase) is (40÷5)+15=$23 a year... So a minum of 12 fills before it breaks even. But you won't want to go back and forth for fills on a dive day.... So you end up with another tank... Minimum 24 fills a year now to break even.
Not saying it's a bad idea, just take an honest look at the numbers to decide if tank ownership is worth it for you. And then factor in the non monetary benefits, and decide if the pros outway the cons.
Respectfully
James

One thing to consider with renting instead of owning tanks is how long you'll need them for. A day rental might not be too expensive, but if you can't return it same-day then the charges start to rack up. I think it's easily worth it to own tanks if you do a lot of local/shore dives. BUT NOT UNTIL AFTER YOU'RE CERTIFIED.

Buy from local stores, not online. If you bought used gear bring it to the local shop to get checked/serviced.

ScubaBoard folks, hope you realize your providing all kinds of advise to a 14 year old.

No offence Tyler:)

Back
Top Bottom