looking for a AOW instructor near Blue Grotto or Lady Lake area Florida Sept5,6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Real AOWs use Hudson Grotto! :D :D :D
What is the diameter of the neck...the dotted line in the figure?
hudsongrottosign.jpg

I don't know but I guarantee that there is no cheating in the S&R and navigation dives. You are lucky to see you buddy just a few feet away.

I don't know but I guarantee that there is no cheating in the S&R and navigation dives. You are lucky to see you buddy just a few feet away.
LOL! Like our local quarries too.
But the issue is how to swim a square that is 100 ft on a side, for example, for the Nav dive.

LOL! Like our local quarries too.
But the issue is how to swim a square that is 100 ft on a side, for example, for the Nav dive.

Except you don't stink like Sulphur after diving in a quarry......

Except you don't stink like Sulphur after diving in a quarry......

That whiff of brimstone comes from diving with lawyers and other lesser Devils.It also helps with social distancing.

@SouthernPine

Are you expecting that your son will meet all performance requirements in 2 days?

I know he can do pass in two days that's not an issue. School starts today and keeping him studying for advanced and practicing in our local pool plus his normal school work. There in lies the difficulties.

5 dives minimum. If the performance requirements are met. If someone can't navigate at all (using a required specialty), then do people expect to still be signed off? Or if their buoyancy is so horrible that the instructor has to grab them to prevent them from cratering/corking constantly, do people still expect to be signed off?

I'm guessing yes, which is why AOW isn't respected, but it could be if instructors required that performance requirements were met. All about interpretation I guess. As I've said many times, subjective criteria can lead to "student didn't drown while struggling to complete skill" as mastery.

I completely agree that why I had m son take the perfect buoyancy class separate before signing him up for AOW. I found an instructor who would work with him until he had it down perfect.

I completely agree that why I had m son take the perfect buoyancy class separate before signing him up for AOW. I found an instructor who would work with him until he had it down perfect.
Since he has PPB, why not do the full navigation specialty, one more of your choosing to reach adventure diver, then he can take deep and take one more? That's a more meaningful way to reach AOW (my opinion) and allowed in PADI standards.

Then with rescue, your son qualifies for MSD, and you don't waste time/money with the 5-dive AOW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom