Freshwater cenotes discovered off coast of Quintana Roo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can’t believe more haven’t commented on this - it’s a really interesting find!!

I can’t believe more haven’t commented on this - it’s a really interesting find!!
Interesting, but not surprising. Fresh water comes up all over the bottom of the sea in Q. Roo. Right off the beach in Puerto Morelos there is a fresh water spring you can drop down into and see small passages out.

I'm surprised that we don't have a handful of Scubaboard members clamouring to get on the team.

I met a group of mixed gas divers at XTC diving, https://www.gotecxcalak.com/, in Xcalak that were diving offshore cenotes back 3-4 years ago. They had a large, ugly boat that barely made it inside the cut at Xcalak. They were off-gasing with Dos Equis at XTC's bar/cafe. Quite a group!
The photographer in the article (Rodrigo) is a regular on the XTC Chinchorro Croc trips.

pic from a few years ago:

rodrigo-hookem-croc-trip.jpg

I would bet there are openings like that all the way to Florida.

Back
Top Bottom