DUI dry suits price differences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the Yukon II suit as my first dry suit and it was purchased last year. I had to send it back 2 times within a year for leaking. One was the water proof plastic zipper and the other was the right arm pocket that they add to the suit for some reason.

DUI took back my suit and gave me credit toward another suit because of my issues. I talked to many divers and I was directed to the FLX Extreme. I'm very lucky that I fit into the stock size Large Short, but it still had to be built (6 weeks). I can see why the FLX and the premium suits are more money. They are well put together and they feel like quality. The FLX feels as if it is bulletproof but does not limit movement. As of now I have had 6 dives in it and can feel a world of difference.

I had a DUI Noresman for about 25 years. It is fairly similar to the TLS, a well made, tough as nails drysuit. It was a no-frills, trilam that i used in 35 degree winter dives, 70 degree summer dives and everything in between. Over 25 years went through two zippers, countless seals. It was a rugged suit that never tore or cut. Seams did wear out, requiring repair, but after 25 years of digging around on shipwrecks off of NJ I really beat the thing up.

I took advantage of the Yukon trade in deal a couple years ago and there's no comparison between a Yukon 2 and a real tri-lam DUI suit. After two years, maybe 50 dives, it was leaking like a sieve. DUI honored the warranty, even though it was a few months past the 2 year mark, but they stilled charged me $180 for leak testing and shipping. Still, I regret buying the Yukon. For the same price, I could have gotten a good, used TLS with a metal zipper or a new BARE suit.

If you're just going to swim around and look, the yukon will probably suit you fine. But if you're going to be sticking your arm into holes pulling out lobsters, or diggin around on shipwrecks, I think you'll be dissapointed with the Yukon.

Thank you for the insight. I’m looking for something that will last. It’s not everyday that I buy a drysuit. What is best for someone who eventually attempt to go tech40, TLS or FLX?

Since you are local, keep an eye on DUI's Facebook page. Every so often they have "garage sales" and you can get screaming deals on suits. Usually trade show models, custom ones that were returned due to fit or non-payment, etc. They won't be custom fit but they are cheap (well for drysuits).

Since you are local, keep an eye on DUI's Facebook page. Every so often they have "garage sales" and you can get screaming deals on suits. Usually trade show models, custom ones that were returned due to fit or non-payment, etc. They won't be custom fit but they are cheap (well for drysuits).

Sounds good BUT I just have to find a place that will size me, I looked at the measuring chart & it’s not like sizing a pair of pants

Sounds good BUT I just have to find a place that will size me, I looked at the measuring chart & it’s not like sizing a pair of pants

If you do the garage sale thing they size you on the site and will bring out the suits that are the closest matches/price point. They can and will measure you onsite at DUI, just have to call. Otherwise Lonnie & Crew at San Diego Divers are my default recommendation, they can measure you up. I would hesitate to go to a place and get measure and not buy from them though, since like you said its still some work to get properly sized up.

Also not sure if you are aware but San Diego Divers is who does the hydro tests for all the other dive shops in the area, so you can take it directly and not pay the OE or whoever's markup.

Thank you for the insight. I’m looking for something that will last. It’s not everyday that I buy a drysuit. What is best for someone who eventually attempt to go tech40, TLS or FLX?

If I may give you a counter point.

Gear is expensive. Especially drysuits. Which naturally lends them to be considered as investments into your sport.

You say you'll want to eventually go down the tech route. The gear committment is large. In addition to that, you will learn through your training that you will want to think of the gear as almost disposable. The more you "invest" in your gear, the more difficult it would be to seperate safe decision making or walking away from that "investment". To quote Tyler Durden: "The things you own end up owning you."

You can buy two Yukon's for the price of a custom built DUI suit. If you dive the crap out of the Yukon and wear it out, think of that as a badge of honor... similar to @industrious95 story about his Noresman. Perhaps your future story is how you shredded your Yukon on your Advanced Wreck course inside the Spiegel Grove when your instructor silted out the room and you shredded the leg on your exit. :eyebrow:

Also, I've had friends drop over 3k on custom drysuits and not get 10 dives before they need repairs. There really is no guarantee.

One last point: you mention you're at around 40 dives. Assuming you have budget considerations, the real investments at this point are dives and training. As your diving progresses, you will 100% find things that you like, and don't like about gear. I don't see you crawling around in caves or penetrating wrecks (hopefully) any time soon.... so consider something with a lower barrier to entry. I say this because i've blown thousands of dollars on gear that I just didn't like. Exposure protection is a very slippery slope.

No right or wrong answers here. It's all just stuff. :thumb:

Thank you for all of your insight & feedback 100%, I really understood with the quote from fight club. Maybe a Yukon isn’t a bad idea considering I’m still a novice .

Buy what you can afford, but don't go too cheap. After some years, you'll upgrade. I started with the Apollo Bio crushed neoprene - it's over 15 years old. I now own the DUI TLS 350 SEAL, military grade suit and the Whites Fusion Bullet. I bought my DUI on eBay, local seller to me, <$1000. Very abrasion resistant. The one thing that irks me is the Zipseals. Expensive to replace.

If you're not an off the rack size, type of diver, then, yes, custom suit is necessary. I'm happy with my DUI, but I love my Apollo drysuit - comes in a variety of sizes. I'm a Large Short so off the rack tends fits my upper torso but the legs are a little long.

Have you taken a drysuit course? I didn't but I trained with people who are knowledgeable.

DUI has broken down to "regular" and "premium"

Regular is the Yukon II and Coronado. They are taped seems but made of the same material as the premium (TLS350 material I think). EDIT: apparently regular as Made to Measure option now
Premium is TLS350, FLX Extreme, etc. They are glued seems. There is a ton of customization you can do, some are free. Optional Made to Measure.

In addition to the "garage sales", there is also the general outlet (two different links for some reason)
DUI | Drysuits & Diving Equipment from Diving Unlimited International
http://pdf.divedui.com/DUI_Outlet.pdf

I received this information when I was buying my DUI drysuit, so I assume it is still true. I went with a made to measure TLS350 and have been super happy with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom