Panic won’t let me dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd say that Rick did absolutely fine, we definetly tested his anxiety skills LOL. Air consumption is a factor of many things and he'll be just fine, many things working against all the divers today provided extra challenges. The only credit I can take today is getting him together with @Christi and Pedro.

For all you regulars, winds were out of the SW this morning, it was raining and we went maybe just right to the edge of the closed area of Palancar - what seemed like 3' breaking waves and a driving rain, this coulda been Maricaibo on a bad day weather - sitting on the rail ready to roll off and a mention that we were just north of caves - Rick looks at me and is like "we're gonna dive in caves??"" We roll in and Pedro is just perfect, he is such a calming effect - dealing with buoyancy and relaxation - his 70 years of experience shows. Great dive!!

Second dive is gonna be a casual afternoon at Tormentos, current going backwards, pushing you off the formations - swirling - just wasn't an easy place to be. The 30 minute dive was constant swimming into the current staying on the formations, just not a normal dive at all. We wish conditions coulda been better but you get what it gives you, he did fine. Really wild currents there, haven't seen that before that strong.

Lots of fun, look forward to seeing him back here in the future!

He slept in and hung out at resort. It was raining steady all morning. He’s not a happy camper right now. He got stung by a jelly on our snorkel at punta Sur yesterday. And it is getting more and more painful and swollen . Got some meds for him. I offered to pee on his leg but he declined. He will be fine. He’s very happy for me that I did what I came here to do. Once again, Chuck , thank you from the bottom of my 80 foot dive heart. You’re one of the good ones.

He slept in and hung out at resort. It was raining steady all morning. He’s not a happy camper right now. He got stung by a jelly on our snorkel at punta Sur yesterday. And it is getting more and more painful and swollen . Got some meds for him. I offered to pee on his leg but he declined. He will be fine. He’s very happy for me that I did what I came here to do. Once again, Chuck , thank you from the bottom of my 80 foot dive heart. You’re one of the good ones.

Hopefully when you come back, there's no mini tropical storm and we can do full surface intervals on the boat/pier and we'll do many more 80' dives, maybe even some caves LOL. We'll set the godson up with open water classes and keep him away from the jelly fish!!

Chuck deserves a medal here.

I saw a video of that storm on FB. Rough, but it happens.

One of the reasons I wear a full-length jumpsuit. The best medicine is a hydrocortisone ointment and oral antihistamines. Urine has no benefit in fact; it's a funny myth.

Chuck deserves a medal here.

No - not at all. I'm fortunate enough that life has allowed me to live here and lucky enough to have meet some fantastic people along the way. Rick did it, not me, and hopefully it's just the beginning for him.

Nice gesture, @ChuckP!
The only credit I can take today is getting him together with @Christi and Pedro.
Great choice on the DM...definitely one of the best on the island.

ETA: Many posts on this thread recommend practicing skills like mask flooding, reg removal and retrieval, etc. This is good advice for even experienced divers; after all we only go diving occasionally (in a good year). Safety stops are great opportunities for this.

Nice gesture, @ChuckP!

Great choice on the DM...definitely one of the best on the island.

ETA: Many posts on this thread recommend practicing skills like mask flooding, reg removal and retrieval, etc. This is good advice for even experienced divers; after all we only go diving occasionally (in a good year). Safety stops are great opportunities for this.
You are absolutely right re: Pedro Pablo!

This is a great thread, a great story. This is why I often visit the Cozumel thread on scuba board. I dived with Blue XTsea several times, and have been impressed by all of the staf. Pedro is definitively a calming influence, and inspires confidence!

Back
Top Bottom