Is bonaire open for US travelers August trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can appreciate your opinion and even your view on the current situation, but you distract from the issue and point when you use or insinuate that countries are "asshat". Good point, but you turn off people to your opinion and put them on the defensive saying they are from "asshat" countries. The closure of Bonaire is unfortunate because Bonaire depends on tourist dollars, but also is geographically position to really shield themselves from the corona virus. Its a lose lose for everyone, but I get it.

I consider this country to be the prime example of an asshat country. Ignorant morons exposing themselves and everyone they come into contact with by making a very serious public health crisis into a political statement. If that isn't asshat I don't know what is. And as far as offending people - maybe they should wake the eff up instead of living in some alternate twilight zone.

Bye

Sounds like Bonaire and Mexico are taking different paths dealing with a problem that's contentious here in the U.S., summarized in the old cliche' 'Pick your poison.'

COVID-19 is serious, contagious, infects huge numbers and kills a substantial minority, leaving variable lasting, sometimes permanent, damage in survivors. If we (i.e.: the U.S., Bonaire, Cozumel, etc...) 'open up' the economy, allow tourism, stand kids back to school, etc..., there will be a cost in sickness and human lives.

But...

People want food, clothing, shelter and entertainment, to get back to living their lives. That stuff doesn't magically appear. Cities are suffering under huge financial short-falls, and some were already struggling with paying for government programs and pension payments, and needed more infrastructure and other work done.

The federal government can't give anyone anything it didn't 1st take from someone else, already had a vast national debt and horrendous annual deficits, and was headed toward a bear market...all before the pandemic hit. It, too, can expect a large drop in tax revenues. Plus it sent out stimulus checks.

As I was told as a child, money doesn't grow on trees. People are delaying medical screenings for other things. Vaccinations are down. People have lost jobs and businesses suffered. Online schooling is not expected to match the quality of in-person education and in an era with plenty of single parents and dual income families, the 'daycare effect' of school is very important.

I'm not pushing one approach (or posting to start a debate, just analyzing the situation). Bonaire, Cozumel/Mexico and the U.S.A. will each pay a big price for what they're doing.

Does anyone know whether its affiliation with the Netherlands will feed Bonaire funding/support to offset the damage from lost tourism? If so, that might be a factor in their decision making.

Does anyone know whether its affiliation with the Netherlands will feed Bonaire funding/support to offset the damage from lost tourism? If so, that might be a factor in their decision making.
I believe the answer is Yes, and that it has already affected the decision-making. Somewhere in these links there is info on this:
bonaire.nu
infobonaire.com

The answer is yes. The Netherlands provides financial and other support and that was a factor in allowing the Dutch in first.

The answer is yes. The Netherlands provides financial and other support and that was a factor in allowing the Dutch in first.
I think I saw some stats about Bonaire tourists being about a fifty fifty split between Netherlands and US (with a few other tiny small bits from other places).

I'm not sure what an "asshat country"actually is but if it means a place with soaring Covid rates and where much of the population politicizes social distancing, masks, etc. I have a fair idea.

To restate the obvious, until Covid rates drop substantially in the USA, I would think that any jurisdiction with a low rate would limit or bar entry.

Unfortunately, does not look like anytime soon. As much as I love dive travel, I'm resigned to the notion that until there is an effective vaccine, herd immunity or the disease attenuates, I will be doing my diving in the bathtub and not the Caribbean. The IPs plans for August are aspirational at best.

I agree with Doctorfish and am resigning myself that it is unlikely we will dive abroad (or anywhere in the US that requires us to travel) until there is a vaccine. I do have a lake in my backyard and two full tanks. My husband and I just might give it a try this summer while the water is warm. It felt like a bathtub yesterday in a swim suit, so we just might last 30 mins in our wetsuits!

I'm not sure what an "asshat country"actually is but if it means a place with soaring Covid rates and where much of the population politicizes social distancing, masks, etc. I have a fair idea.

To restate the obvious, until Covid rates drop substantially in the USA, I would think that any jurisdiction with a low rate would limit or bar entry.

Unfortunately, does not look like anytime soon. As much as I love dive travel, I'm resigned to the notion that until there is an effective vaccine, herd immunity or the disease attenuates, I will be doing my diving in the bathtub and not the Caribbean. The IPs plans for August are aspirational at best.

Looking at the current COVID-19 situation in the USA, Brazil and India (as of today) it would almost be criminally negligent to allow visitors in from those countries.

I bet it will be 2022 at the earliest before US citizens are allowed to visit Bonaire.

I agree with Kharon BTY.

What is happening in Brazil and India is almost understandable. They are developing countries with real challenges. What seems "almost criminally negligent" to me is that so many Americans won't wear masks, social distance and wash their hands. Covid should be a public health problem and not a political issue. If more Americans followed the advise of public health officials and not that of political figures, rates would drop and we would all be able to travel sooner.

My part of the USA has about 99% of the people wearing masks in public.
I don't know about the rest of the USA but here in the PNW people are honestly giving it a go.

Back
Top Bottom