any advice for sidemount class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4793E174-BF2D-4A0D-9184-3D4B04446BA1.gif

I respectfully disagree. There are many ways of doing things with different tradeoffs. A student should listen to their instructor and try their way, but know that there may be other options to try. They at least show up with somethings at least partially configured. They will also understand more of what their instructor is telling them.

we will have to agree to disagree. If the setup/teaching methods are wildly different the discussions tend to go "well Steve Martin does it like this" and while in advanced courses that can bring up productive discussions, in an entry level course I think the law of primacy should be yielded to the instructor with supplemental education coming afterwards.

we will have to agree to disagree. If the setup/teaching methods are wildly different the discussions tend to go "well Steve Martin does it like this" and while in advanced courses that can bring up productive discussions, in an entry level course I think the law of primacy should be yielded to the instructor with supplemental education coming afterwards.

His videos are nice if your diving aluminum tanks, and xdeep stealth. though he does have a few videos about steels and drysuit that help. I am keeping a open mind for the class.

Man there's some really hard feelings about saying don't watch Steve's videos. I think his videos are good and give a good basis for someone who wants to learn on their own. But I'm in tbone and rjack's camp. Don't spend the money to watch them. Although you will learn alot, it's best not to have preconceived ideas going into your class. SM is very finicky and everyone does it differently (many do it poorly). Steve does a great job, but you're paying an instructor to teach you so let him do his job.
In my opinion the most important thing is you need to know that you need to be taught the basic "physics" of sm setup. I.e. when you move a camband forward or back, lenghten or shorten a bungee, rotate a rear attachment point, or shorten or lengthen the rear leash what does that do? If you're not being taught these things and your instructor is just setting up your tanks and harness and not teaching you how to do it yourself, then you need to run away to a better instructor. You will eventually change tanks or change harnesses. If you don't understand what all the changes you make do, then you'll never be able to set up your gear on your own.

and its completely useless for cold water, steel tanks, drysuit,
Richard,

Normally I look to your advice, but WTF are you talking about? I obviously dive in cold water, use steel tanks, and am in a dry suit.

Steve’s videos have been enormously helpful to me.

it sounds like you haven’t watched his content and are making assumptions based on snippets or something else.

The question revolves around "Flordia" style rigging and "Mexico" style rigging. I suspect those that don't like Steves videos are protective of the Flordia style. IMO

The question revolves around "Flordia" style rigging and "Mexico" style rigging. I suspect those that don't like Steves videos are protective of the Flordia style. IMO

Don't mistake my comment about not watching his videos prior to class with me not liking them. I think his videos are tremendous tools, but I don't think going into a class with preconceived notions is a good idea unless you are certain that the instructor has the same philosophy. Watching Steve's videos before going to take training from Edd is not going to be a great idea. They get very similar results from very different approaches and will not be as productive in the end. Watch the videos as supplemental learning AFTER the course. That allows you to go back to the instructor and ask why they may do things different, or you may find that you like parts of each and you now have some good background and experience to adapt accordingly.
My recommendation has nothing to do with who's information you're getting before the class, it's about getting it before the class to begin with because the law of primacy is very powerful.

Don't mistake my comment about not watching his videos prior to class with me not liking them. I think his videos are tremendous tools, but I don't think going into a class with preconceived notions is a good idea unless you are certain that the instructor has the same philosophy. Watching Steve's videos before going to take training from Edd is not going to be a great idea. They get very similar results from very different approaches and will not be as productive in the end. Watch the videos as supplemental learning AFTER the course. That allows you to go back to the instructor and ask why they may do things different, or you may find that you like parts of each and you now have some good background and experience to adapt accordingly.
My recommendation has nothing to do with who's information you're getting before the class, it's about getting it before the class to begin with because the law of primacy is very powerful.
Or watch Steves videos first and ask your potential instructor how he/she teaches in comparison.

Or watch Steves videos first and ask your potential instructor how he/she teaches in comparison.

The point is to be an intelligent prepared student, but also not overload yourself with knowledge from others that will end up annoying your instructor. For something like sm with so many ways of doing things, coming in with preconceived notions came make for a less than ideal class.

I don't think anyone's said steve's videos suck or it's a florida vs mexico thing.

The point is to be an intelligent prepared student, but also not overload yourself with knowledge from others that will end up annoying your instructor..

If an instructor would be annoyed of a student who watched Steve Martin's videos, I'd say that's a major red flag and to find another instructor. BFD. Use that information to discuss why the instructor does things and not what Steve Martin teaches. Use it as a teaching opportunity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom