Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which wing? I have the VDH 18 on my light weight one and have used the Deep 6 20.

how did you like the deep 6 wing? Eventually I’ll want to get a tropical wing for stuff like Bonaire, the quick drying nature of it looks nice.

how did you like the deep 6 wing? Eventually I’ll want to get a tropical wing for stuff like Bonaire, the quick drying nature of it looks nice.

I have the Deep 6 20lb and my son has the VDH 18er. The VDH is definitely smaller. My son used it all summer (well after it was opened up) in the Keys as a dive master. He loves it. For tropical diving, that would be my choice.

That said the cover on the Deep 6 is pretty nice. Because it is slick, very little grit or silt ever stays on it. Very easy to clean.

I have the Deep 6 20lb and my son has the VDH 18er. The VDH is definitely smaller. My son used it all summer (well after it was opened up) in the Keys as a dive master. He loves it. For tropical diving, that would be my choice.

That said the cover on the Deep 6 is pretty nice. Because it is slick, very little grit or silt ever stays on it. Very easy to clean.

Thanks for the feedback! I like the Deep 6 mainly for the quick drying aspect, but everyone raves about all the VDH wings (my 35lbs wing is in the mail), so hard to go wrong it sounds like!

Agreed. While I look longingly at his rig because it is barely larger than the FP itself, I have no issues at all with the Deep 6 wing. And it is not like it is massive. It is not near big. It just looks big next to the VHD18. So maybe that is your answer. Buy the Deep 6 20 for quick dry you are after, then avoid anyone you know with a VDH, like the plague. If you never see them side by side, the D6 will be a great setup.

Which wing? I have the VDH 18 on my light weight one and have used the Deep 6 20.

I have a Daretodive ring 14 (The quality/price ratio is hard to beat if you live in EU) VDH looks nice though. The stabilizer are tighter than on the VDH but are shorter. Do you have the same wedge style as @rsingler ?

I have a Daretodive ring 14 (The quality/price ratio is hard to beat if you live in EU) VDH looks nice though. The stabilizer are tighter than on the VDH but are shorter. Do you have the same wedge style as @rsingler ?
I have the same wedge, on the VDH it fits between the wings roll control and bolts right down with no problem. If the wedge won’t fit between you can (usually) remove the roll control from the lower part of the wing, I had to remove them on my VDH 35 for the rail to fit and if I didn’t use the rail to hold extra weight I would use the wedge on the Stainless plate too.

I have the same wedge, on the VDH it fits between the wings roll control and bolts right down with no problem. If the wedge won’t fit between you can (usually) remove the roll control from the lower part of the wing, I had to remove them on my VDH 35 for the rail to fit and if I didn’t use the rail to hold extra weight I would use the wedge on the Stainless plate too.

thank you for all this info! on the DTD it won't fit between the roll control and I would have to cut the small compartment open (where the roll controls are) and cut them if I want to use the same configuration as you do (These a two "long" plastic hose, not 4 small like on the VDH). However I feel like I could easily tinker with the wedge as the lower hole of the wing is 1 inch and a half lower than the lower end of the roll control. So I am sur I can figure something out!

Can't wait for the next run of AL FP

Nope. The wedge makes for a nice straight line. It's perfect.

Teaching AOW in doubles?
Masochist! :D

Call me Linus. To me, diving with doubles is like diving a single tank, but bringing my security blankie along with me. Plus, I'm DM'ing for an AN/DP class in a couple of weeks, so I'm diving my doubles right now to knock the rust off my doubles skills as much as possible before that. I wouldn't want the students in the class to show me up!

Agreed. While I look longingly at his rig because it is barely larger than the FP itself, I have no issues at all with the Deep 6 wing. And it is not like it is massive. It is not near big. It just looks big next to the VHD18. So maybe that is your answer. Buy the Deep 6 20 for quick dry you are after, then avoid anyone you know with a VDH, like the plague. If you never see them side by side, the D6 will be a great setup.

This. To me, the FP and VDH 18# wing is the Ultimate Warm Water Single Tank BCD.

It is what I was using in the pic I posted back in post #300. FP, VDH 18, Deep6 fins, Atomic Z2 regs, and a Teric. There is literally not a single piece of that setup that I feel like I could improve. The only thing I do differently sometimes is using Mako freediving fins, instead of the Deep6. That just depends on the dive and whether I might be going through any swimthroughs or wrecks or if I'll be taking pictures. Freediving fins are too big for swimthroughs and not enough control for taking pictures.

If you’re wanting to use the plate with no wedge then you really need a wing with separate top an bottom roll control bars so the plate doesn’t high center on the tank.
Also, if you are using the wedge, you don’t necessarily need to use the short little 1/4” carriage bolt through the top hole since the wing will already be secured by the wedge. Most wings will self center once the top cam band is set. The other thing that could be done is to lay a flap of webbing over the stubby end of the nut to protect the tank, or rubber?
I’m working on trying to figure out a rubber pull through top hole securing system, but the problem I’m facing is that some of those wings are always pulling themselves tight and the holes have trouble remembering they’re supposed to be 11” center. Without secure threaded bolts on each end I’m afraid the center panel will shrink back and just pull the rubber bushing out.
I also thought of a bolt on roll control pad for the top for the wings that don’t have one but then that’s just more crap to come up with, more complicated, and more money needing to be spent, so my advice is to just get the wing that works. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to get as many wings to work as I can.
The rail became more problematic than it was worth. Most of the issues were with fitting down in between roll cushions or center mounted roll cushions or the perfect length of the top bolt and then people using it like a STA with running the cam bands under the rail bars and not being conscious of the 5/16” bolts and the critical awareness of their integrity. So the rail is no more except in very special cases. Just get the right wing or make the wedge work.

Back
Top Bottom