Frustration moving into/towards tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
get in touch with @cerich he's on the other side of Atlanta, but is at least local and isn't going to steer you wrong.

That said, there are doubles courses out there.

NAUI teaches it
GUE/ISE/UTD teach it
It is SUPPOSED to be taught in all Intro to Tech type courses, hence the intro part.

I spoke with Chris today and I think I like the way we discussed setting up training. Gonna talk to my buddy and hopefully setup some things moving forward. Thanks for the suggestion :)

In my experience, some students have a surprisingly hard time adjusting to doubles, especially if they start out with heavy steel doubles. It happened to me. The first few times I used doubles (HP 120s), I felt like I was competing in a rodeo. It's really just a matter of practicing and getting used to them. I recently had a student start tech who felt totally helpless and out of control wearing them. He is now a trimix student and is perfectly comfortable with them.

Hose routing is a bit trickier, but normally the LDS can set up the set for you as well. Although I think divers should be able to do some minor repairs (like swapping a hose) themselves, if you don't feel comfortable doing that, the LDS should be able to sort that out. Handling leaks is in my opinion a new skill, since this was most likely not yet covered in your previous training. It is a part of any tec course. As long as you are diving recreational, the respons with doubles is exactly the same as with a single tank: if you detect a leak, go up.
There really isn't too much to "learn" about using doubles, especially within recreational limits, but there can be quite some getting used to them. That is probably the reason there are not too many many people taking "how to use doubles" courses (although plenty options are out there, like people mentioned above).
I did read this thing about hose routing several times here on SB, and I do not catch where the problem is.
I have exactly the same hose routing when I mount my regs on my my 15-liters single or on my 10+10 liters twinset.
Only difference is that with the twinset the two posts are slightly mor distant than on the single, but this is easily accomodated by the fact that my second stages are both slightly longer.
Why does one has to change the setup when moving from single tank to twin tank?
The only modification is how the backpack is attached to the tank: I have a band for the single, and two long screws for the twins. Swapping between the two takes two minutes...

I did read this thing about hose routing several times here on SB, and I do not catch where the problem is.
I have exactly the same hose routing when I mount my regs on my my 15-liters single or on my 10+10 liters twinset.
Only difference is that with the twinset the two posts are slightly mor distant than on the single, but this is easily accomodated by the fact that my second stages are both slightly longer.
Why does one has to change the setup when moving from single tank to twin tank?
The only modification is how the backpack is attached to the tank: I have a band for the single, and two long screws for the twins. Swapping between the two takes two minutes...

Well if you already have 2 first stages it will be the same, true. And if not, it's not rocket science either. I guess the only thing where you might go wrong is were your inflator / drysuit feeds come from. That would be a nice discussion to get into on SB or to ask your tec instructor some good questions about, but nothing to be worried about in recreational practice dives.

In NAUI, the technical configuration "workshop" is part of the ITT. It also can be made available outside the ITT program. I actually took the mini-session to see if my shoulder mobility issues would preclude me from proceeding down a technical path in back mount ahead of investing financially in the class (fees and equipment). A few others were seeing if it was for them. I was the only one of 6 of us that continued...

I spoke with Chris today and I think I like the way we discussed setting up training. Gonna talk to my buddy and hopefully setup some things moving forward. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Right on, @jlcnuke . I think you're going to be very pleased with your skill development and expanded understanding of all things diving.

Whether someone chooses to train with GUE or some other agency is a personal choice. I'm perfectly OK with that. I just wish people would stop getting their "info" and making decisions about GUE based on "knowlege" from people who really have no personal experience. The amount of misinformation regarding GUE about what is "allowed", what "isn't", what gear one "can" use, what gear they "can't", who they "can" dive with, who they "can't", etc. is truly staggering.

Ehether someone chooses to train with GUE or some other agency is a personal choice. I'm perfectly OK with that. I just wish people would stop getting their "info" and making decisions about GUE based on "knowlege" from people who really have no personal experience. The amount of misinformation regarding GUE about what is "allowed", what "isn't", what gear one "can" use, what gear they "can't", who they "can" dive with, who they "can't", etc. is truly staggering.
That's why I pass on the advice. They don't dive air? Don't care. I do. They don't dive sidemount in open water? Don't care. I do. They don't have buckles on their harnesses? Don't care. But I don't either. They only team dive? Don't care, I don't. While I understand their philosophy, it isn't mine entirely. But I really enjoyed my class and only regret one thing about it: not taking it sooner.I just cared about the skills and that course dramatically improved my abilities as a diver, and I used many lessons/techniques to improve my teaching.

Though @cerich is a great choice for an instructor as well. If I was closer, I'd do some training with him.

My understanding of GUE has always been that there is "an accepted gear configuration and no other is accepted". That gear configuration isn't ideal for my dive partner, and I'm not comfortable with that rigid of a structure for training and certainly not for follow on diving. IF that isn't the agency's practice/methodology, they should make the ability to accept alternative configurations much more obvious, but that hasn't been what I've seen and as a result I'm not really interested in their practices.

I get that your buddy is in a bit of a tight spot, having removed that much muscle.
But the fact that you would rather go on the offensive about how GUE (and similar agencies) and their config is wrong and not a good fit for your mate rather than come to the very simple conclusion that you could just help your buddy get into his harness (I guess he didn't lose 90% of his movement range in the arm?).
I can get into my harness on my own and so can the people I dive with, but it is easier if you help each other (which is really what GUE is about, you're a team and you all help each other).
While it seems like you have already made up your mind about GUE, I still feel like you haven't given it a single look beyond the fact that your buddy can't use a certain type of harness.
Their Fundies is an extremely good class (and a great preparation for tech), doesn't matter what your goal with diving it, everyone can benefit from it.
My classmate for Fundies rented a BPW (single tank) setup that was equipped with Halcyons cinch system (which someone like your buddy would find very helpful).
You could at least try and talk to an instructor about the possibilities of that for a Fundies (which IMO is the best intro to tech class on the market).
Don't write them off the board just yet, there is no obligation to drink the kool aid and get a diehard subscription to the DIR system just because you take a Fundies.

Another question, that doesn't have anything to do with what organisation you prefer...
If your buddy has had that much muscle removed, and has that much trouble getting into a DIR harness, does he still have the mobility and strength needed in his arm to execute a valve drill with back mounted doubles?
Because I'm having a hard time thinking of any tech instructor who would pass a student in a tech class if they couldn't pull that skill off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom