My Dundies, or can I get “fundies style” education?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a friend from Germany whom sought certain certifications from here. He has had nothing but excellent things to say. I'm not advertising, just trying to help you with options.

| InnerSpace Explorers

Wish you well in your endeavors!
and that is very much appreciated, I'll look into it.

I'll be honest I discarded that option early because of one report stating that it was fairly hardcore/bravado for hardcore tech diver (shame on me for stopping my research there:oops:)

I can't imagine any competent instructor would turn you away. You just need to open up some lines of communication. Scuba diving isn't the military. It is a recreational sport. Some might have stern methods of teaching. But the sport is ever evolving. Focus on the instructor and less the agency, you will get to where you want to be.

You just need to open up some lines of communication.

I think this is a key, and that's what I am trying to do now :)

there is also the "fear" of sounding pretentious to look for "stricter" education so early when, let's be honest, any instructor on the planet has a lot to teach me...

it's just that almost every Fundies report ends up by : "I wish I took that class earlier..." so I'm just trying to apply other people feedbacks:bounce:

and that is very much appreciated, I'll look into it.

I'll be honest I discarded that option early because of one report stating that it was fairly hardcore/bravado for hardcore tech diver (shame on me for stopping my research there:oops:)
It can't hurt to ask.

Just out of curiosity you are missing your left hand correct? Can you hold a light with a prosthetic or does everything shift to your right hand now? or? Just curious how you have adapted so far and if you have worked with any of the adaptive diving instructors/agencies or just figured it out as best you can on your own.

I was very happy to see this post, bravo on continuing your diving education.

It can't hurt to ask.

Just out of curiosity you are missing your left hand correct? Can you hold a light with a prosthetic or does everything shift to your right hand now? or? Just curious how you have adapted so far and if you have worked with any of the adaptive diving instructors/agencies or just figured it out as best you can on your own.

I was very happy to see this post, bravo on continuing your diving education.

first I would like to specify that I have no tabou regarding my handicap, so everybody feel free to ask any question on that topic :wink:

Correct on the left hand! right now I deal everything with the right hand except the SPG on the left hip that I "push" up with my left "wrist" when I want to check it.

however it wouldn't be hard to adapt a goodman handle to that side if need be. I just didn't need it so far!

my PADI OW instructor was awesome (but she moved) and we just managed. Honestly there wasn't much that was problematic... and I am lucky to have a light disability only!

also I got plenty of advice regarding the gear configuration on this board notably from @lowwall and so far it's working well.

thank you for the kind words and positive vibes! very encouraging!

I have a friend from Germany whom sought certain certifications from here. He has had nothing but excellent things to say. I'm not advertising, just trying to help you with options.

| InnerSpace Explorers

Wish you well in your endeavors!
I was going to suggest this. Going by some of his videos, their founder Achim Schlöffel is clearly willing to accept non-DIR equipment at least for non-technical diving. It's kind of funny when the guy with the reputation of being a hardass takes his followers to task for being overly dogmatic.

I was going to suggest this. Going by some of his videos, their founder Achim Schlöffel is clearly willing to accept non-DIR equipment at least for non-technical diving. It's kind of funny when the guy with the reputation of being a hardass takes his followers to task for being overly dogmatic.
I didn't even know that they have rec diving...:confused:

I will certainly do that! it is very nice of you!

I did look at both RAID and UTD but "funny enough" both agency have nothing in Germany of France which would be my two preferred locations. But I am not writing them off either as I will still be open to the "find a good instructor and take 1 on 1" path. I will explore all options added to the gue one

It might be hard in France... there are some weird regulations for which instructors need to buy a special license if they want to be paid. Guess what? The license is very expensive if you are not living in France.

Even weirder, cave diving isn't regulated, so you can get cave training very easily in the lot.

However, it's a bit complicated and I may be missing something... but my first bet is that Germany is probably an easier place for fundies

yeah I know (I come from the dear Beaujolais).

Germany seems indeed better equipped. I will look locally to see what a GUE instructor says about some, certification-less, adapted fundies style coaching

yeah I know (I come from the dear Beaujolais).

Germany seems indeed better equipped. I will look locally to see what a GUE instructor says about some, certification-less, adapted fundies style coaching

France is equipped as well with one GUE fundies instructor, Marc Aznar, if you are interested in it. He mostly work in the lot area or in Belgium, but maybe he can move...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom