New Vegas Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brandonLV

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello guys, I'm about just about to get my certification for open water diving. Its been on my bucket list for at least 10 years. I eventually want to tech and cave dive but for now I have a lot to learn. My instructor is my friend and says I should get the shearwater Al but I'm thinking since it may be a while I should get a cheaper dive computer now and later just use it as a backup. Any suggestions?

I still have my original xp10. The features work fine for me but it is hard to read. If I was to do it over I would make sure that I could easily read the display. I'm just a regular old recreational diver so a basic computer works fine. I do plan on upgrading to something I can see and that easily downloads the logs and using this one as a backup. I think you have the right idea.

Just bought a suunto stinger off a guy in California. Luckily he's going on vacation and driving through las vegas and dropping it off in a few hours. New thing to play with and figure out

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200807-114550_OfferUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20200807-114550_OfferUp.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 36
Just bought a suunto stinger off a guy in California. Luckily he's going on vacation and driving through las vegas and dropping it off in a few hours. New thing to play with and figure out
Anyone want to help a new diver, Is that a computer worth buying? I hate to see people buy stuff that turns out to be a waste. I am not saying it is, but hopefully those with more knowledge can give some advice to a new diver.

You’ll just end up buying a shearwater later... if you have the budget get it now and it becomes a backup when you get the latest greatest one when you start tec.

If you don’t at least get a used computer now so you won’t loose much if anything when you sell it and buy the shearwater ;-) I started with a used Mares Icon HD, used it for 3 years and sold it for what I paid.

You’ll just end up buying a shearwater later... if you have the budget get it now and it becomes a backup when you get the latest greatest one when you start tec.

If you don’t at least get a used computer now so you won’t loose much if anything when you sell it and buy the shearwater ;-) I started with a used Mares Icon HD, used it for 3 years and sold it for what I paid.[/QUOTE

Thats my plan is to buy a shearwater later and use this one as a backup. The one I'm buying to pretty good reviews from the research I did.

With what you describe you want to do,
Buy once, cry once.
Just get the Shearwater.

If you want to do it budget wise and use it later for a backup, Shearwater just released the Peregrine. That would be a great budget computer that you can keep as you advance. This way it will match the bigger Shearwater when you get it. No competing algorithms fighting each other. It will work well up to the point when you start playing with mixed gasses, and a lot of people are just jumping straight to a rebreather at that point, Those will have there own computers, usually Shearwater so you will already have a good idea of what is going on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom