scopalamine side effects, better options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sh0ck1999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For what ever reason after I had menengitis in 2015 I seem to get motion sickness pretty easily. First time I attempted to go wreck diving on lake Michigan with 6ft rollers I couldn't get myself off the boat. Second time got sick as well but got really good at putting all my gear on while keeping my eyes on the horizon still sucked but I was able to get in two dives...

Fast forward to this year I went to isle royale for a week and got a script for scopalamine patch. First two days were like glass third day was brutal I kept my drysuit on during surface interval so I didnt have to look down only got myself to do 2 out of three dives that day. The last two days were just as bad if not worse but I was able to keep it together patch finally started to work? But then a slight problem popped up my near vison was getting blurry and it was hard to read my perdix if I squinted I could kinda make out the numbers hah. I dove mostly based on the colors. And squinted to kinda see the numbers. Through out the dives. My far vision was still decent through my corrected mask. I also got withdrawal when I got home and had the patch off I felt like I had motion sickness and a hangover that wouldn't go away I ended up using mezcline for a few days and tapered off then I was fine.

Sooo draminne doesn't do it for me in the past , the scope worked decent but had some issues with it. Anyone else have those side effects? Is there anything else out there I should try?

With Transderm-Scop patches I'll often cut them in half and just apply the 1/2 patch. Seems to work just as well with the only side-effect being dry mouth.

There are two Dramamine formulas I am aware of. I can't do the one with Meclizine as it makes eating utensils float up off the galley table and mouth show tunes in my general direction. :) The other formula works great for me. Only side-effect is slight drowsiness sometimes. My 2psi.

Have you tried Gravol/ Dramamine?

Needs to be taken at least an hour before departure. Could make you drowsy. Taking it before bed and then eating ginger in the morning is supposed to be helpful.

I can't help more than that I'm afraid, as so far, I seem to be blessed to not be susceptible to motion sickness.

You could give cocculine a go... I eat those like tic tacs it’s homeopathic as well..but I have to be honest that I don’t know if it’s that or the other 4/5 things I’m taking at he same time that are ‘actually’ working...

I feel your pain. I had the exact same side effect with scopalomine patches (transderm scop). Dramamine puts me right to sleep. I used it once and slept on the boat to and from the dive. Kind of sucked. What works pretty good for me is meclizine. It is available OTC in Walgreens, Cvs, or probably any pharmacy under the brand name Bonine. Most gas stations don't sell it.

I will second the suggestion to Cut in Half the Scop patch. You already know it works for you, but is likely too strong. I've cut them in half for years and found that they still work just fine for me. If you clean the application area really well first the half patch will still stick on on remain effective for at least 2-3 days. I do get the dry mouth effect but you really ought to be well hydrated when diving anyway.

Dramamine is dimenhydrinate, also sold as Triptone.
Bonine is meclizine, also sold as Travel-Ease and Antivert. Dramamine Less Drowsy (also Dramamine II) is actually meclizine!
Scopolamine, sold as Transderm Scop, is definitely more effectivr than the first two, in clinical trials, but your own body might prefer one or another better.
There are also different drug interactions with each of these, so any other stuff you are taking is also important.

When I was doing lots of sea-going oceanography, open-ocean stuff, we had to work through whatever the sea-state was.
People tried everything.
And some stuff worked for some people, and not others.
I do best on Bonine, started the night before.
My wife prefers the Scop patches; they blur my vision
Dramamine just make me sleepy, which is good because it makes me lie down, which solves the sea-sickness problem, but makes it hard to be working in the lab or on the deck. Dramamine plus lots of coffee works......but has other side effects!
Cutting the Scop patch is half is not recommended, because it theoretically changes the dosage rate out through the cut edge, but no one seems to have a problem with it.

I can't do the one with Meclizine as it makes eating utensils float up off the galley table and mouth show tunes in my general direction. :)

Ordering a case of it now.....

I have never been hit with debilitating motion sickness, but my wife has. We swear by candied ginger. The effect is almost immediate and will last for 45 minutes or so. Just nibble on a piece and the nausea goes away. Repeat as necessary.

We buy it at Target with the packages of dried fruit. A friend gets ginger candy at a health food store and it works as well.

Good luck,

Jay

We buy it at Target with the packages of dried fruit. A friend gets ginger candy at a health food store and it works as well.
I agree, it works well. Good, too! Trader Joe's also has it. Buy the cheapest....it is all basically the same.

Your vision issues may relate to touching the patch, then rubbing your eyes. Very common side effect. I even have my wife put my patch on the night before diving on boats so I don’t have to touch it. Oh, you should take up cave diving, I’ve never gotten seasick on the way to an underwater cave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom