Drysuit & Undergarment Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never had experience with neoprene drysuits as I tend to gravitate towards Trilam and hybrids but it looks interesting. Does the Seaskin only offer a rear zip option? Because that's a deal breaker for me.
So far yes on the neoprene and back zip, I have both and dive the trilam most often because of the front zip (replaced the brass with plastic Ti-zip) trilam is a great suit too.

Is there a reason neoprene drysuits are always back zip?

Is there a reason neoprene drysuits are always back zip?
It’s usually not always, the theory is neoprene doesn’t lend itself well to telescoping and so as it’s stretched to get it over your head it ends up bunching rather than neatly folding. This action also stresses the top end of the zipper, a back zip is about as easy as possible on a zipper.

I haven’t used the BARE front zip but I have used the pinnacle black ice and they use a very long zipper that wraps well around you to reduce the stress on the ends.

For compressed neo Drysuit, the new cressi desert is a good value (at least here)
At first everybody have some doubts about cressi making drusuits, but the quality is great, very confortable, and well made and finished.
I myself would consider one if was in the trade (because of our abusive import fees, anything imported from abroad nearly doubles when arrives)
I've only hear good things about seaskin but only saw the trilaminated in person

jale, in fairness however the horizontal front zips can also be a pain to close without a buddy. Do not know about that Beuchat specifically though.

jale, in fairness however the horizontal front zips can also be a pain to close without a buddy. Do not know about that Beuchat specifically though.
Yes you are right but at least.with a front one you can attach the loop of the zip to a solid attachment and see and control what you are doing if you need to close amd.open it on your own.
I haven't try this Beuchat yet but it seems plastic zippers are more "user friendly"...

Actually I had wondered why seaskin didn’t do front zip like that for neoprene. I have the Hollis semidry that zips like that and I can do it myself fairly easily.
Vastly preferable to a rear zip I would think and should have less stress in use.

I have the Hollis NeoTek Semi Dry, oddly it's easy for me to close it but then it's kind of tricky for me to open it back up after a dive once it's wet and it's suctioned to your skin from all the air escaping. The one thing I like about my Whites is how easy it is to zip up on my own, but then the position of the zipper also tends to bunch up like I have a giant uniboob when I put my harness on. I guess the fact that I'm a little anal and don't like other people touching my equipment plus I'm usually diving alone 95% of the time makes a rear zip pretty useless for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom