White Chicken Chili

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BVickery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have this as part of my regular stable of foods I make. Healthy and tasty! In fact, making a pot today to add in some pics to show you. it is from a cookbook, but had to share.

Nutritional Info:
Serving Size; 1 1/2 cup Total Fat: 7g Chol. 80mg
Sodium: 460mg Total Carbs: 16g Fiber 5g Total Sugar 4g
Added Sugar 0g Protein: 31g

Serves 8

Ingredients
2 Onions (Chopped)
3 Anaheim Chilies, stemmed, seeded and chopped (Cubella works too)
3 Poblano Chilies Stemmed, seeded and chopped
3 Jalapeno Chilies stemmed, seeded and minced
3 lbs bone-in, split chicken breast (do not substitue, tried with boneless, thighs etc, throws off the flavors)
2 tablespoons canola oil
6 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon of ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander
salt and pepper
2 15 ounce cans of no salt added Cannellini beans
4 cups unsalted chicken broth
1/4 cup minced cilantro
4 scallions sliced thin
2 tablespoons of lime juice
1 tablespoon of oregano (fresh preferred)

Step 1

Toss onions, anaheim, pablano and 2/3 of the jalapeno together in a bowl. Working with roughly two batches pulse the veggies in a food processor to the consistency of chunky salsa. Set aside

Step 2

Pat chicken dry with paper towel. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown chicken 3-5 minutes per side, but depends on how thick breasts are. May have to cook some in 350 oven for a bit. Transfer to plate, discard skin.

Step 3

Add processed vegetables mixture, cumin, coriander, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 3/4 teaspoon salt to fat in pot and stirring often, cook over medium heat until they soften (approx 10 minutes). Remove from heat

Step 4

Process 1 cup of beans, 1 cup of chicken broth and 1 cup of the veggie mixture from dutch oven in food processor until smooth. Return mixture to pot and slowly stir in remaining 3 cups of chicken broth. Nestle chicken breasts into pot with any accumulated juices and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until chicken reaches internal temp of 160 degrees (10-15 minutes or so).

Step 5

Transfer chicken to cutting board to cool and then shred into bite sized pieces using 2 forks. Discard bones.

Step 6

Stir remaining beans into chili, bring to simmer over medium heat and cook, uncovered, until chili has thickened (approx 10 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in chicken, scallions, lime juice, oregano and remaining jalapenos. Season with pepper to taste. Serve with lime wedge.

Step 7

ENJOY!

chicken chili s.jpg

Takeaway beans, add hominy and tomatillos, bam Pozole Verde. Try adding some broiled Carnita to it...yum.

Takeaway beans, add hominy and tomatillos, bam Pozole Verde. Try adding some broiled Carnita to it...yum.

I am sure, but this is super good as is too.

I have this as part of my regular stable of foods I make. Healthy and tasty! In fact, making a pot today to add in some pics to show you. it is from a cookbook, but had to share.

Nutritional Info:
Serving Size; 1 1/2 cup Total Fat: 7g Chol. 80mg
Sodium: 460mg Total Carbs: 16g Fiber 5g Total Sugar 4g
Added Sugar 0g Protein: 31g

Serves 8

Ingredients
2 Onions (Chopped)
3 Anaheim Chilies, stemmed, seeded and chopped (Cubella works too)
3 Poblano Chilies Stemmed, seeded and chopped
3 Jalapeno Chilies stemmed, seeded and minced
3 lbs bone-in, split chicken breast (do not substitue, tried with boneless, thighs etc, throws off the flavors)
2 tablespoons canola oil
6 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon of ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander
salt and pepper
2 15 ounce cans of no salt added Cannellini beans
4 cups unsalted chicken broth
1/4 cup minced cilantro
4 scallions sliced thin
2 tablespoons of lime juice
1 tablespoon of oregano (fresh preferred)

Step 1

Toss onions, anaheim, pablano and 2/3 of the jalapeno together in a bowl. Working with roughly two batches pulse the veggies in a food processor to the consistency of chunky salsa. Set aside

Step 2

Pat chicken dry with paper towel. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown chicken 3-5 minutes per side, but depends on how thick breasts are. May have to cook some in 350 oven for a bit. Transfer to plate, discard skin.

Step 3

Add processed vegetables mixture, cumin, coriander, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 3/4 teaspoon salt to fat in pot and stirring often, cook over medium heat until they soften (approx 10 minutes). Remove from heat

Step 4

Process 1 cup of beans, 1 cup of chicken broth and 1 cup of the veggie mixture from dutch oven in food processor until smooth. Return mixture to pot and slowly stir in remaining 3 cups of chicken broth. Nestle chicken breasts into pot with any accumulated juices and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until chicken reaches internal temp of 160 degrees (10-15 minutes or so).

Step 5

Transfer chicken to cutting board to cool and then shred into bite sized pieces using 2 forks. Discard bones.

Step 6

Stir remaining beans into chili, bring to simmer over medium heat and cook, uncovered, until chili has thickened (approx 10 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in chicken, scallions, lime juice, oregano and remaining jalapenos. Season with pepper to taste. Serve with lime wedge.

Step 7

ENJOY!

View attachment 603460

I love this recipe! It's from Cooks Illustrated. The only problem I have sometimes is finding bone-in, skin=on chicken breasts!

I got mine from a book by America's Test Kitchen. I have found them at times at Walmart. Also, can also just get a whole chicken and part it out. Use the thighs for Chicken Curry and maybe drumsticks to throw in a salad after roasting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom