Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one of the early models, cut the original lift wedge off and added 2 bolt holes to attach a piece of SS Tube that I filled with some lead for weight and then sandwiched the wing on with an STA. Used nylon spacers to give it a little wedge at the base
Wow! That’s a really old one. It’s one of the very first run “original” models with the little welded on bottom bracket.

If you’re wanting to use the plate with no wedge then you really need a wing with separate top an bottom roll control bars so the plate doesn’t high center on the tank.
Also, if you are using the wedge, you don’t necessarily need to use the short little 1/4” carriage bolt through the top hole since the wing will already be secured by the wedge. Most wings will self center once the top cam band is set. The other thing that could be done is to lay a flap of webbing over the stubby end of the nut to protect the tank, or rubber?
I’m working on trying to figure out a rubber pull through top hole securing system, but the problem I’m facing is that some of those wings are always pulling themselves tight and the holes have trouble remembering they’re supposed to be 11” center. Without secure threaded bolts on each end I’m afraid the center panel will shrink back and just pull the rubber bushing out.
I also thought of a bolt on roll control pad for the top for the wings that don’t have one but then that’s just more crap to come up with, more complicated, and more money needing to be spent, so my advice is to just get the wing that works. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to get as many wings to work as I can.
The rail became more problematic than it was worth. Most of the issues were with fitting down in between roll cushions or center mounted roll cushions or the perfect length of the top bolt and then people using it like a STA with running the cam bands under the rail bars and not being conscious of the 5/16” bolts and the critical awareness of their integrity. So the rail is no more except in very special cases. Just get the right wing or make the wedge work.

I realize a lot of people will probably dismiss these because they are plastic. But, these really do work well to hold a wing on the plate. It's not like they are doing anything once you tighten your cam bands around a tank.

DGX Assembly Screws, Plastic, Set of TWO | Dive Gear Express®

Also, for a roll control pad, have you looked at these?

OMS Soft Stabilizing Adapter | Dive Gear Express®

Maybe an option to recommend to people who need it?

I realize a lot of people will probably dismiss these because they are plastic. But, these really do work well to hold a wing on the plate. It's not like they are doing anything once you tighten your cam bands around a tank.

DGX Assembly Screws, Plastic, Set of TWO | Dive Gear Express®

Also, for a roll control pad, have you looked at these?

OMS Soft Stabilizing Adapter | Dive Gear Express®

Maybe an option to recommend to people who need it?
Perfect!
This is why I count on you guys, another set of eyes and ears.

So my VDH 35 lb wing just got in, I’m assuming everyone using it also using the rail since the wing doesn’t have cam band strap cutouts?

Look again

whAPT3r.jpg

No cam band cutouts. I take it was supposed to have them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom