Backup Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sidemount Nomad for 15 years now. I keep 2 Salvo Mini Rats attached to my harness pointing down on each side D ring. They ride above the cylinders and have deployed them multiple times without issue.

I have a 3rd mounted on the side of my UWLD light head
I recommend keeping at least one on your mask strap
What small lights do you like for this? I'd gotten a, Intova, AAA that I threw out without even diving it because of build quality. My assumption for mounting on mask strap or primary light is enough light for you to get the real backup out.

What small lights do you like for this? I'd gotten a, Intova, AAA that I threw out without even diving it because of build quality. My assumption for mounting on mask strap or primary light is enough light for you to get the real backup out.

any of the single 18650 backup lights work, preferably with a button instead of twist since twist is a 2-hand operation. I use the Cave Adventurers Explorer lights on mine, but the DGX ones or orcatorch etc are fine.

BM and SM, I put them on my shoulder harness, clipped to d-rings. Diving the CCR, I put them in a pocket. The only reason I change it for CCR is just because things get pretty busy with MAV's.

I'm a fan of disposable battery backup lights with twist on activation. I've got a couple of the LM 2w lights, which use the CR123 batteries, a couple of the LM 3w lights, which use 3x C cell batteries, and I've been playing with a Halcyon mini-scout 2x c-cell light. The 3w lights are ridiculously long, so having them on the shoulder harness may not work for people with smaller torso lengths.

The alkaline batteries get replaced 2x a year (usually around Christmas and around 4th of July), the CR123's get replaced once a year around Christmas. Obviously, if I ever use the light, I replace the batteries on the drive home.

For those of you using push-button lights and keeping them in your pocket, do you regularly check them to make sure they haven't accidentally turned on? I'd hate to find out that my backup lights are nearly dead when I'm in need of them. Even twist action lights can accidentally turn on, but when they're on your shoulder harness your buddy will hopefully see it and you can self-check pretty easily too.

BM and SM, I put them on my shoulder harness, clipped to d-rings. Diving the CCR, I put them in a pocket. The only reason I change it for CCR is just because things get pretty busy with MAV's.

I'm a fan of disposable battery backup lights with twist on activation. I've got a couple of the LM 2w lights, which use the CR123 batteries, a couple of the LM 3w lights, which use 3x C cell batteries, and I've been playing with a Halcyon mini-scout 2x c-cell light. The 3w lights are ridiculously long, so having them on the shoulder harness may not work for people with smaller torso lengths.

The alkaline batteries get replaced 2x a year (usually around Christmas and around 4th of July), the CR123's get replaced once a year around Christmas. Obviously, if I ever use the light, I replace the batteries on the drive home.

For those of you using push-button lights and keeping them in your pocket, do you regularly check them to make sure they haven't accidentally turned on? I'd hate to find out that my backup lights are nearly dead when I'm in need of them. Even twist action lights can accidentally turn on, but when they're on your shoulder harness your buddy will hopefully see it and you can self-check pretty easily too.

I pocket twisty's and the magnetic tail buttons that are recessed. I don't usually pocket the side buttons as those like to turn on randomly. The mask light/helmet light are really nice in sidemount though and much preferred for me.

the 2w LM is attached to the side of my UWLD goodman with the LM bracket

I have a mask strap light that is twist on and uses a AAA but I use it for taking survey notes not as a backup. Everything else is too bright and the glare off the page makes any writing nearly illegible. I'm not sure where I bought it

I ended up making a helmet for about $36 out of a cheap skateboard helmet and a hard hat.
117647930_321421199219970_3004921166386729973_n.jpg

117705130_310747316797544_3933909370848157599_n.png

117795814_3075760439219780_4391808842215079259_n.jpg

117659754_904288693394370_7567287171971633870_n.jpg

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom